close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

Simple Download

Thread began 5/09/2012 1:18 pm by richardjhollingsworth438953 | Last modified 5/30/2012 8:50 am by richardjhollingsworth438953 | 3271 views | 15 replies

richardjhollingsworth438953

Simple Download - 2

I've followed the "Creating a Digital Download" instructions (pages 5 - 7) in "Getting Started with Digital File Pro 2" document from Web Assist website. I put the button on a dynamic PHP page. I run it through a "Test Site" from Dreamweaver and I get no error messages. I upload the PHP page to the remote server and run it and get no errors. When I push the "Download" button, nothing downloads.

When I look at the code that's created by Digital File Pro 2 in the actual final PHP page, the download button has 3 lines. The 1st line is: <form id="form1" name="form1" methods="post" action=""> The 2nd line is <input type="submit" name="download" id="download" value="Download"/> The 3rd line is </form>.

One obvious problem already is that the file that's to be downloaded (a PDF file) shows up nowhere in the code even though in the steps for creating the "Download behavior" (page 6 of Digital File Pro 2 instructions) I specified the folder field, the final name, and the "save as" field. For some reason, it does not show up in the code, so it seems the button worked but was not linked to the file I wanted to send. I checked and made sure that the file was in the root directory in both my local Mac and the remote server. Why isn't the actual file information getting into the PHP file?

One last piece of info is that I'm not linking this download button to any database table. I don't care about counting or restricting the number of downloads. I just want it to download. The instructions imply that if you don't want to link to send counts to a database table, then leave that lower section in the download steps unselected (it looks "grayed out"). I assume this is not my problem. Is the true or not?

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...