close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

Wish, nay, urgent request.

Thread began 12/01/2011 3:31 pm by Jared Lui | Last modified 12/05/2011 8:41 pm by Jared Lui | 1460 views | 6 replies

Jared Lui

Wish, nay, urgent request.

I'd like a response from WA concerning this post please.

I know that this has been brought up many times before and I am sorry for no longer being patient and bringing it up again. In short, I've used your extensions for more than 5 years and have invested in over $900 in your extensions. I am grateful and pleased to still be a customer and don't plan on changing that. However I really implore you to heed this message.

I find myself on your forum pretty much daily using the search feature to try and figure out how to do something or find a resolution to an error. Now I understand that some of this is my fault for not being a better programmer or perhaps I misunderstand some of the documentation but the bottom line is, quite frankly for the most part your documentation lacks substance. I know this for a fact because if it was better, or maybe easier to find, or maybe kept updated and purged as needed, then quite a few of the forum posts wouldn't be needed.

But this post isn't really about the documentation or lack thereof.

I have recently spent more time trying to resolve conflicts with your extensions and searching your forums than I spend actually working for my clients. During all this time spent on your forums I see the same questions and posts over and over and over again and I'm telling you, that if you guys spent just one day, maybe even just put one person on it, to update some stuff in your downloads section, you wouldn't have half as many posts in the forum.

Heck, I'd much rather you spend one day stopping production to do whatever it took to clean up and document that area then answer any new posts or make further progress on extensions as I know in the short and long run we, your customers would benefit more from it.

This is all I am asking, in the Download Center next to the Current Version for example, add a note that says if you own and have Security Assist 2.0.4 installed do not install this. I don't know how many forum posts I see daily that Jason and Ray ask what other extensions are installed and the issues arrive due to old version conflicts. I understand that you don't want to simply remove older versions from the downloads as there may be reasons for them in certain circumstances, but we need to know up front the conflicts. Now you do have something similar on some extensions like Validation Toolkit once you click the download link, but it's lacking on many others. Please get with your support team to discuss all cross extension issues and let us know what those are. And then make them readily available/accessible and in our faces.

While doing this it is also a huge help for those of us that have collected a ton of extensions through the years that may no longer need one because it's now offered in another newer/updated extension. Please note this in the downloads area as well so we can know which extensions we no longer need to have and don't update obsolete extensions and screw up current files.

I'm really tired of renaming my configuration file and removing all 30 of my WA extensions and then installing them again because of undocumented conflicts. Or having to guess which ones I can use and not use together.

I guess what I'm really trying to say is please, before you spend anymore time creating fancy new home pages and discount ads, take some time and work on documentation for your current customers. This should not have to wait on a wishlist. This should be a priority. I've seen all the posts of people wanting refunds because they are frustrated and believe your software doesn't work. You can use documentation to overt most of them and many, many posts in your forums,

Sorry for the rant, but seriously, we all have been asking for something to be done regarding your documentation for a long time, and the truth is, we shouldn't have to.

Thanks

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...