close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

CSS Button Styler Preset Throwdown!

Thread began 6/27/2011 6:25 pm by Justin Hood | Last modified 7/08/2011 11:59 am by Justin Hood | 2726 views | 10 replies

Dave Hoffman

Originally Said By: AlaskaTom
  However, for me, its not so much that Im not overly thrilled with the current themes, I think its there are some common aspects that I dont care for, and am always editing the css after the fact.
I would probably lean tward more gradients and rounded corners, and less padding. One thing I always end up removing or reducing is what I consider is excess padding inside of all form elements, including buttons.  

You're right Tom, and we'd love to support any number of new buttons. However, these are the buttons that we've made available in a couple of our other applications and in the interest of consistency, we've made them available here. It really comes down to having to test each design in up to five browsers across platforms and the more we add, the harder Justin's job becomes...

One suggestion I might make though is how you skin your objects, and apply those skin styles.
Currently a login page created might have a form that starts like this

<div id="LogIn_Basic_Default_ProgressWrapper">
<form class="Basic_Default" id="LogIn_Basic_Default" name="LogIn_Basic_Default" method="post" action="">
<fieldset class="Basic_Default" id="Log_In">

In this case I chose the basic default skin.
Personally, long class names like this drive me nuts, and they make changing a skin later difficult.
I would prefer if you gave your classes and IDs more generic names like waProgressWrapper or an id like waLogin etc. Prefacing the class or ID with a brief 'wa' to differentialte it from similarly named generic classes we might already use.

You can then have your skins, or themes in different directories with master css files, and then you can just attach a different stylesheet to totally change a theme.
Or even have a master stylesheet, and then pull a theme into that stylesheet with @import.  

Again, you're right, but sadly, we also have to support people using more than one integration both in a single site or even a single page. It was my decision to go with the long names for differentiation purposes, allowing people to do multiple things on a single page without all kinds of stacked tag / class definitions. The longer and more precise the name, the less chance there is of overlap and the issues that may come of it not only within a product like CSS Button Styler, but when our products team up together as well.

Anyway, a little more that you probably wanted, but I wanted to express my opinion.  

Nonesense! It was exactly the right amount and your points were very valid. We definitely appreciate your opinion. :)

Best,
Dave Hoffman
Senior Engineer

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...