Hi i am waiting for my server access, so thanks for your help in understanding and evaluating Powerstore.
I will be running Powerstore on a shared server and may not have control over php or SQL settings.
In terms of your response for error reporting:
I know that:
error_reporting = 6135 (which I think means E_ALL & ~E_Notice)
log_errors = On (is on)
Using phpinfo(), I could not find display_errors = Off
I was able to find suhosin.disable.display_errors = off
Not sure if they are the same thing?
1. Given these settings are not in my control what do you suggest?
I should not have to do php coding? Or do i?
2. Even if the error settings stipulated above are in place,
a) how does the error reporting work? Errors seem to go into a log file?
b) As the system admin, am i notified that an error occurred?.
Does the code fall over and no one knows unless u look in the log file?
c) Is there any message, e.g., "system is down..come back later" given to the user. What happens?
3. While the mysql system can somewhat rely on STRICT_ALL_TABLES,
Should one presume that messages are displayed to the user if they entered inappropriate data. Eg. A message like: Date format is incorrect, it should be in dd/mm/yyyy?. Phone numbers need to be 999 9999999 etc?
4. You say that your system does not use transactions. How then do you handle dirty reads, phantom reads, unrepeatable reads, given that the internet is a multi user environment (ecommerce systems are multiuser)?
5. If the msql system falls over in the middle of an update what happens?
e.g., if 3 sequential updates are necessary:
5.1) Update order table,
5.2) then update the order_details table,
5.3) then update the customer's purchases table.
What does Powerstore to maintain database integrity do if mysql stops or falls over, or the php script stops or falls over at step "5.2", the second part of the necessary updates above?
6.If one user is updating a customer's address details while the another user is using the old address to send out an invoice what happens?
Other examples of multiuser problems may be include when updating stock levels; or credit cards details etc? How is database integrity maintained?
Powerstore is marketed as an easy off the shelf - get your store up and running easily type of product. I am hoping that I don’t have to worry too much about extra coding or database problems.