Thanks Ray; your post for the INNER Join and Russell's pointers for the checkbox worked - finally! after 3 days of playing around with the DA Search feature - so many gotcha's !!
It was a good learning experience though.
Just to highlight the areas:
1) Alias your tables and TEST out the raw SQL
2) Run the default DA wizard
3) Update your search page - checkboxes and/or Radio groups (I did the radio group only because I could set the checked/unchecked defaults or default your database column to N|0
4) Update your results page Recordset - paste your aliased SQL code and TEST - note the column name if you have aliased those too!
5) Update your DA Search - this is the crux of the problem; if you have 2 key fields like I did with the same name - BOTH will be selected and this will not work. Also make sure the COLUMN TYPE and Filter TYPE are correctly selected for your search needs
6) Modify the DA Search code (BuildFromList) parameters to reference the ALIASED fields - VERY IMPORTANT!
7) Modify the form fields to reference the aliased columns too
Thanks again to Ray & Russell