A fix to have it work in templates was posted by Lee Firth in a different thread:
"I have just had the same problem and it was caused by the fact that the "Create Dynamic Array" code was being written in the "head" tag by the extension. Once I moved the code to before the doctype declaration it worked as expected."
I can confirm that once I moved the code from the head tag after applying the Create Dynamic Array extension, I was then able to complete the Dynamic Dropdown on a template page thanks to Lee.
Now to get it to submit and bring up the results as a search results page. Ideally I'd like to get it to bring up a DataAssist Results page. But I am totally lost on how one would go about that.