close ad
Help us test the new Databridge BETA with MySQLi support
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

Simple eCart Setup w/Color Option

Thread began 5/19/2010 6:02 pm by bledford407228 | Last modified 5/25/2010 4:04 pm by bledford407228 | 1414 views | 5 replies

bledford407228

Simple eCart Setup w/Color Option

Ok... I've spent the past three days reading forums and trying every different thing I can to figure out something that should be simple, out of the box.

My Setup:
Super Suite / Dreamweaver CS5 / PHP / MAMP / On A Mac / Using the provided WA database.

Background:
I have a site that was previously built to sell 2 items that each come in your choice of color. The shopping cart was part of the paypal system. Due to lack of features, I wanted to implement my own shopping cart for more control.

The database is setup as follows:
Products: 2 items. 1. is the large handbag, and 2.) is the small handbag.
OptionGroups: 1 entry Color
Options: I've listed all the colors options
ProductOptions: Filled in accordingly based info from this post: showthread.php?t=12841

Question:
With-in this prebuilt website I have two product pages. One for large handbag, and the other for a smaller redesigned version.

Large Handbag has 3 color choices.
Small Handbag has 8 color choices.

Up to this point I have created the eCart object with a extra column for color, set to text, and unique.

Working with only the Small Handbag page I created and add to cart button. I'm pulling form the rs_WADAproducts with the id set to product id. On the bindings, Id is set to a default of 2 (productID is 2 for the small handbag in products table) all the rest are set to there corresponding column within the products table. Color is not binding to anything with in this setting, but it is set to up-dateable and with list.

Once the button is created i selected the dropdown menu and changed the dynamic setting to include a label of "Select A Color" pulling options from rsColor (created following the "Product Options with eCart" tutorial - left out anything related to size or price increases b/c I didn't need it). The values are set to ProductOptionID and labels set OptionName.

Problem 1 - This products should show all 8 color choices, but instead it only shows 3 of them. At first I thought it was giving me the choices for the large handbag, but noticed only 2 of the colors matched the large and the other color is only for the smaller handbag.

Problem 2 - When testing this page with only three colors, I'm taken to the shopping cart with all the information from the large handbag (name, price, sku, etc) but where it should display the color it just says 1... and when adding another bag to the cart with a different color it just increases the quantity of the first bag.

I'm completely lost and tired of spending hours (past 3 days, all day) trying find to information on what I'm doing wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Now for My Rant: (WA don't skip) -

WA Staff please take the advice from other forum members and provide more in depth documentation for your products. For example there is no information at all on how the WA database should be filled out if you want to include options. If it weren't for the post I mentioned above and finding a program called navicat to edit said database, I would have no idea whats going on. (not that I really do now). Mainly for a product that is pitched to be easy to use out of the box, with a high price tag (w/Super Suite), it shouldn't take days of searching your forums to find basic answers. I can understand it might seem easier to answer questions as they arise, but it creates nothing but frustration when trying to figure out how another user might have asked the questions you are researching. Save the forum questions for the more advanced things. The provided documentation doesn't provide near the amount of answers it should for the basic setup of a simple shopping cart. Don't get me wrong, based on past experience, I do realize how helpful your tools are with the automatic coding they provide... but when you offer a trial period for a product, you don't want your users spending that time constantly searching for answers in a forum... wouldn't you rather they spend it enjoying your products b/c they found all the information then needed it one simple place. Not worrying if they've made the wrong decision and consider returning them. (I'm still in my trial period and this thought has crossed my mind... as much effort as I've put into hunting down answers and trying this and that, I might have been better off to spend my money taking a php class)

Simply put... out of all they years I've been on the internet, I've never had to post in a forum to find the answers to something that seems so simple. So as my very first post ever, I hope you've enjoyed reading my book. ;-)

Thanks for reading!

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...