thanks ...BUT I guess I don't understand exactly how this is to be entered as it's not working.
Do I have to delete any PS2 code or just inactivate the default shipping inside the ecart object? --- I have simply made it inactive for this test.
STEPS I have taken:
1) click on edit the ecart object
2) select the tax tab
3) selected edit on the default sale tax and made it inactive
4) clicked + to add new rule (Canadian Sales tax)
5) set taxable total > 0
6) + added if session variable exists - to text box I pasted "eCartCheckoutForm_shipping_country" without the quotes. (I have also tried pasting in the PHP code exactly as above with same results) - see images attached.
7) + added if session variable = statement - pasting in the exact same text as inside "" above and chose = and entered CA into text field.
8) created another rule the same way for Ontario sales tax.
9) ok'd everything and uploaded the WA_eCart directory to server.
The results were as pictured in image #3 after placing and order using my own credentials and logged in.
Just in case this helps... I went through the checkout wizard without finalizing just to see what it looked like and I did NOT get any Tax page at all. it went right from shipping into Database settings.
Why would that happen?
again, thanks for the help :-)