1. I made the filed unique in the data table. This alone will insure that we don't have dups, but the user only knows this after filling out the whole form. So we do was a SPRY note to display early in the registration process.
2. So we moved to your next suggestion, adding a behavior to open the user table. and filtering on the for variable.
3. We then added a new rule to SA for server side valadation, but this where is I am getting confused. I went to Security Assist/Access Rules Manager and create a new rule "ValidateUserLogin". I have selected the "allow" buttton, the value is the form field "login", the criteria is "<>" and the compare to is the table filed "login".
4. I added the line <span> Login name already in use </span> next to the form field "login".
5. I went to Security Behavior/Security Assist/Show Region and picked the Rule I created.
After posting, the form is not catching the duplicate name in the form entry process. When I hit "Register" I only get a white page with "Duplicate entry 'jrobben' for key 2" on it. Any suggestions?