View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

Is there a tutorial for validating a user in order to send them their password?

Thread began 1/03/2010 12:23 am by Stevebo | Last modified 1/14/2010 12:31 pm by Stevebo | 2773 views | 20 replies

I think we still have a disconnect. They aren't selecting a secret question. The secret question was already selected when they set up their profile. I need them to answer the secret question based on the secret question that they chose when they set up their profile.

My question is how can I do it in a single form when I need their email address to retrieve their secret question so they can answer it and continue? They can select a different secret question when they log in and choose to change their profile and save it. The whole purpose of the secret question/answer is to validate them as the owner of the account before sending them a new password. I don't want them to take a guess which secret question they may have chosen before when setting up their profile since there are 10 of them and they might not remember which one they chose.

If you are saying that it can't be done on a single page as described in the previous paragraph, then OK. I think what's throwing me is you saying that they would select the chosen question on the one-page form. That's where the disconnect may be. I don't want them to choose their secret question since they may not remember which one they selected when they set up their profile.

If you look at the way Paypal does it, one of the options to reset your password is to answer a security question. They actually use two secret questions that must be answered successfully. You don't pick the security question and then answer it, they simply display the two security questions you selected when you set up the account, and you supply your two answers which they compare to the info they have. If your answer is correct, they send you to a change password page. This is exactly what I'm after.

Is this what's causing the confusion (at least on my part)?

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Ease of use

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...