View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

yet another IE6 problem

Thread began 5/05/2009 9:05 pm by tlpirc372764 | Last modified 7/17/2009 9:57 am by tlpirc372764 | 1253 views | 3 replies

tlpirc372764

yet another IE6 problem

Ok guys, yet another IE6 problem here. I am creating a website which has three styles (essentially two other "home" pages if a client wants to browse the site with a different feel. This is not really the problem, essentially I created three versions of the same site, on the first style, I had serious problems with the "disappearing drop down" bug IE has, so I essentailly bumped the content div down a few pixels from the top navigation bar and, though not exactly the look I wanted, it works. (I've searched for fixes and none of them worked properly) all other browser worked fine. This also resolved an issue with the drop down disappearing behind images (not just flash) Here is a list of problems I am having and I am pulling my hair out.

the second style is a full width header, I set the navigation outside of the body so it too would be full width and set another div inside of it, right now it doesn't have position assigned to it, relative nor absolute helps. I set the margins on the right so it wouldn't float allway to the left. the menu works fine in current versions of opera, safari, konqueror, FF, IE7 and IE8 but in IE6 the customized buttons (right left center, righthover, lefthover, center) disappear and just leave huge fonts without spacing in it's place.

in the third style I set two divs inside the topnavigation div and floated one to the right and other to the left, one for the nav buttons and the other for a search field. here the buttons disappear but the proper sized links are left in their place, also there seems to be a black line underneath the top navigation div (I assume this is an issue of height with IE6) this style was set as content, two column, header, footer fixed (using sculptor) and one more thing (if the plethora of problems isn't enough for you guys to help me with) I've set my styles as presets and when I go to menu writer the menu layout is fine (home, services, etc, etc) but the images are missing, so essentially I have to go through the whole process again to redo the same menu.

The odd thing is this, with other menu styles such as glide or bubble or whatever other menu writer has, these work just fine, the only thing I did was create a custom preset using custom images for the R L C. I set the width a bit more for content and adjusted padding and height for the test within menu writer but only one out of the three styles work in IE6, the first one. The only thing I did for the first menu was switch out images, in other words I kept the height the width the font, everything just added my own images.

anyone else run across this? I have been looking over the css and I can't seem to pinpoint the problem, I thought maybe a line height problem, but I haven't specified anything for the menu outside of menu writer.

I wish someone would put that browser out of its misery! also, anyone know of a way to preload rollovers without javascript using css? I have found some examples but can't seem to get a hold on it, I currently use 1px images tucked away out of site...something google doesn't much like. webassist's site has this problem as well, the rollover image to the nav takes a couple of seconds to load.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...