The deletion of the cache didn't work.
While I didn't video tape it for proof, I know I did remove the older extension before installing the new. In some cases the Extension Manager will not accept some extensions until this happens so deleting before installing is second nature to me.
Instead of renaming the config folder, I used Time Machine and Time Capsule to swap out the existing config file with the one that was on the computer before I installed the new extension. The thing does a back-up every hour, and it was just a matter of finding the file from noon yesterday and double-clicking on it. The system took care of the rest, proving that it was the best $700 I ever spent.