More testing: If I switch to source code the editing seems to stick. It appears to be related to using paragraphs. If just a sentence, no problem. If two paragraphs done in visual mode, sometimes the cursor isn't in the right place. I can do paragraphs in source mode. But clients aren't going to remember that. I set up a test environment. Link in PM.
If, before I type anything in, I add a series of hard returns, I can then place cursor where I need it. Very odd. But if I click on an update on an older record, everything is gone.
Another test... I went into the database (id5) and added paragraphs. When using the admin, clicking on update, makes it disappear in the editor. And if I update, it erases in database.