eCart problems still
Thanks for your reply. I am running the current version (6.1.0) of eCart. However, I did as you suggested in case there was a problem with the installation. I uninstalled eCart, downloaded eCart again, and reinstalled eCart. I deleted the MacFileCache. I quit and reopened DW CS6 after installing. I rebooted between each step. I rebuilt the forms from the Checkout Wizard which I had deleted. I have done these steps twice now. The checkout still goes straight to PayPal bypassing all the other pages. I am not sure what to do now. Do you have any more suggestions?
I did notice that in the Checkout Wizard on the orders tab I had problems getting the wizard to select the correct tables. I could select the correct connection, but the wizard had a problem finding the orders table and would consistently default to the first table in the db after I selected "define" to see whether the bindings were correct. Selecting the orders table would then delete all the preexisting bindings. I made a new preset by copying over the preexisting bindings to the orders table, but I'm not sure if I got them all correct or whether the wizard recognizes the new preset. Once I made a new preset for the orders table, the wizard recognized my orderdetail table and showed values for that table. (Mac 10.6.8, DW CS6)