close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

HTML Editor 3 with pages created using HTML Editor 2

Thread began 1/21/2011 7:44 pm by YellowCircleWeb | Last modified 1/24/2011 5:12 pm by neilo | 4016 views | 12 replies |

YellowCircleWeb

HTML Editor 3 with pages created using HTML Editor 2

Just a quick question - I am working on a site at present where I have created a CMS using HTML Editor 2 - if I upgraded to HTML editor 3 would I simply have to uninstall the HTML editor 2 extension, install the v3 extension and then carry on working?

I don't want to upgrade and then have to re-create all the CMS pages again...?

Sign in to reply to this post

neilo

From what I can see, the file structure of HTMLEditor3 differs to some extent from HTMLEditor2 and the way that user styles are created and written to file is different too.

If you began applying HTMLEditor3 to your CMS, it would create a new folder (webassist/ckeditor, webassist/kfm) so you would have a whole new set of files. It is likely (though Ray or Jason may correct me) that you would have to reapply your existing bindings to each new HTMLEditor3 instance, and perhaps juggle some paths.

If you have created a CMS using HTMLEditor2, it would be best to continue with that to completion - so you have a finished working version online, and then perhaps you could duplicate your local site and play around a bit with the new version on your local testing server if you then wanted to.

YellowCircleWeb

Thank you for the advice Neilo - much appreciated.

Ray/Jason - could you confirm whether I would need to re-apply the behaviours again, it's a pretty complicated CMS I've created so I really don't want to mess things up. Also, is it possible to have and use both HTML Editor 2 and HTML Editor 3 installed at the same time so I could continue to use v2 for sites I'd already written and use the new version in the future?

neilo

Hi Ian,

Just to say that I applied the new HTMLEditor over a previous version in a CMS on one of my sites (having backed up first!).

All wen't smoothly, (I had to set the Site Settings first) and the bindings all stuck just fine.

The only problem I have at the moment is that it won't recognise the site styles that I had previously set for the styles select list, which is a bit weird, as it has found the 'body' style and applied it OK, and the 'body' style was one of the styles in the site styles stylesheet.

So this means that it has found (and is recognising) my site styles, but clicking the styles select list in the Editor interface produces an entirely empty list. The path to the stylesheet is correct in my update and insert pages. One thing that does happen whenever I make any change to the HTMLEditor code however (when I was checking the stylesheet paths - relative/absolute) is that I get an error message (see image).

Also, the file manager is currently not working, returning an error in the File Browser window:

alert("MDB2 Error: no such table\nSELECT extension, plugin FROM kfm_plugin_extensions WHERE user_id=1")  

Undoubtedly my carelessness, but I have gone over the procedure several times, and can't spot my errors.

OK, tried several more times, and still no site styles. Final result is third image. Error message pops up at most stages.

YellowCircleWeb

Thanks for the update - I too have been having trouble getting my own styles to work in the editor, hopefully webassist mods will be able to shed some light on this issue. Just one other question for you Neilo, do you have the form builder 2 beta installed? I do, though I don't use it. I'm wondering if this may be causing the styles problem?

neilo

Hi Ian,

Yes I do, - as it says somewhere (my brain has frazzled) that if you have FormBuilder2 installed, you have to install the Beta build 023. That was a bit annoying as it shows as version 2.0.0 in the Extension Manage version column. I think I already had it installed, but uninstalled it and reinstalled it again - only then noticing that it still says version 2.0.0.

The Build number is in the access blurb in the bottom panel (assuming it's selected). Minutes turn into hours, and hours into days.

Am having another go with fresh test install of PCMS and then HTMLE3 on another server, largely because I am avoiding some design work that I have a mental block about.

Seems like HTMLE3 almost works. Hope it does, as have recently bought two spare licences for PCMS3, and maintenance likely on various HTMLE 2 installations.

YellowCircleWeb

I'm gonna play about with HTML Editor 3 on one of our dev servers, if I find anything out that may assist you (and others) in relation to the custom styles I'll post it on here.

Update: I've done a bit of digging around in the files and found a directory called 'styles' (located at: webassist/ckeditor/plugins/styles/styles) within HTML Editor. In this directory there is a single JS file called default.js and it's this file that contains the default styles that HTML is displaying - I tested this by adding my own additional style to it and then checking that my style was displayed in the editor and it was. Therefore the problem is a setting somewhere within HTML editor that is either not updating this default.js file with my custom styles from my stylesheet or a setting that is not being changed instructing HTML Editor to use my stylesheet instead of the default.js file.

I cannot get my custom styles to appear in the editor any other way than editing the default.js file by hand, which is obviously not what you want to be doing each time you use an instance on the extension.

neilo

Cheers for that Ian,

I had found that, and also discovered that if you add the styles during the run time of the HTMLEditor3 configuration GUI under the styles tab (you can add individual styles here - but again, one by one - one property at a time) - that the javascript file is replaced with the styles that you enter at that stage.

None of which helps with just loading the styles from the stylesheet. I know that the HTMLEditor has referenced my site stylesheet, because it has adopted the 'body' tag which is defined in that stylesheet.

Mind is too frazzled to think.

Thanks,

neilo

Ray BorduinWebAssist

Loading styles from a style sheet to the styles list is not currently supported. They need to be added manually.

Since displayed styles have a label, associated tag, and can be inline css, or come from a class, or just be tag based, it isn't really possible to get all of the necessary information from a style sheet alone.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

Willi Schneider

Originally Said By: neilo
  Also, the file manager is currently not working, returning an error in the File Browser window:
Undoubtedly my carelessness, but I have gone over the procedure several times, and can't spot my errors.

OK, tried several more times, and still no site styles. Final result is third image. Error message pops up at most stages.  

Hi Neilo

I've had that error, too. The fix is quite easy:

Use a database admin tool like phpMyAdmin and delete all tables related to the "KFM"-filemanager.
Be sure to make backups of these tables before deleting them, in case something goes wrong.
All the tables have a naming convention like "kfm_something_somthingelse".

Then apply the new "HTML Editor 3" to your form page. Preview your form page in the browser. When using the filemanager for the first time, you will be asked to reload the page to have tha database refreshed. At that point all the necessary "kfm" database tables will be created and everything should now work.

HTH

Willi

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...