close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

WebAssist Extension Library

Thread began 8/31/2009 10:33 pm by tom92909 | Last modified 1/08/2010 10:21 am by Ray Borduin | 27311 views | 131 replies |

tom92909Beta Tester

WebAssist Extension Library

Today you announced the new subscription plan for WebAssist Extension Library. What exactly does that mean for those of us who actually own everything already?

Are you forcing us into this subscription plan? Opt into a fee based usage for something we already own the rights to? Are upgrades a thing of the past? Does owning the license have no greater value than a discount on the activation fee?

I understand that the economy is slow and revenue is critical to continue doing business, but what exactly are your intentions?

This isn't sitting well with me right now. There are a lot of unanswered questions here I think. It smells like a Health Care Bill for software licensing.

Sign in to reply to this post

Ray BorduinWebAssist

If you own the product, you own the product. Even with the new subscription model in place, you can opt buy the product as you did before and not pay a subscription.

The subscription is a leasing option. If you don't have the $$ to buy it you can lease it for a period of time. Existing customers can join the subscription program for free updates to any products or can continue using the software they own.

The short answer is that it won't effect you at all unless you decide you want to be part of the program. If you do join and you have previously purchased, then if you cancel the subscription you can continue using the software you purchased. People who have not purchased and cancel the subscription will no longer be able to use the tools, but all web sites created will continue to function normally.

There is really nothing for existing custmers to be afraid of, we are just trying to lower the barrier to entry for new customers and offer a subscription model for those who want to be ensured the latest version of everything at a fixed annual cost.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

john384495

Ray, the only problem I see is that some of us might not be too happy. After saving (unemployed with two kids) and spending $479.99 on july 14, 2009 then after that finding out you switch out the validation module so then I had to spend an additional 79.99 on 8/24/2009 so I could finish a site...now you change things again where now I could have spent only $200 for the entire year with the entire suite....that is over 2 1/2 worth of updates for the same price I paid plus the entire super suite. Plus ...now you can get the entire suite for $499.00...I feel like I got kinda of cheated on of several modules.

You really need to look at what you did to your current members who own suites...you did not offer anything except a discounted subscription fee on something they owned. I really think their are many of us who noticed this and it does not sit well with us. Someone needs to check this out and thow a bones to the ones that helped support you. Thank you in advance for your time.

John

Ray BorduinWebAssist

It would have been $279 for the entire year, since you would have to pay the initial start-up fee, and you would be leasing the extensions and not owning them.

We created this program precisely for people like you who didn't want to buy a product like the super suite and end up having to pay for modules when we updated them. It is true that this program solves that problem and you were subject to it. Maybe your complaints, or people in a similar situation, are the very thing that led us to offer this program in the first place. We are only trying to improve our offering.

People asked us "I just bought this product and now I need another to finish my site" and "I just purchased the super suite, I don't want to have to pay for an upgrade" and "I can't afford the super suite". We wanted to offer a solution to those people. We can't fix the problem going backward, but this is our honest attempt to fix it moving forward.

Any time we come out with a good deal, anyone that purchased before might feel cheated. This would be true if you bought a TV from Best Buy and it went on 50% off sale a couple months later, or if you bought a new car and traded in your old one a week before the cash for clunkers program.

The fact that you feel like you would rather be a part of the new subscription program really only represents the fact that it is a very good deal, and we need it to be a good deal to succeed at what it intends to do. The only way we could satisfy previous purchasers is to make it not such a good deal or give full refunds, and that would either prevent us from being able to offer it at all or defeat the purpose.

If you own super suite and contact sales directly, they will waive the subscriptions sigin up fee entirely and you can join the subscription program. The advantage you will have by purchasing is that if you ever cancel the subscription program your extensions will continue to work.

tom92909Beta Tester

Ray,

Thank you for the clarification. Yes, I feel better now. My initial outlay was 3yrs ago. I'm invested and I wasn't sure from the initial announcement if I was seeing my investment decrease in value. I now fully understand that my purchase still has great value and I am satisfied.

john384495

Ray, I think you product is awesome and I understand how some may save more than others depending on how your sales go and I do not expect any refund of money. The idea was great and I wish I waited but....

Many software companies do throw a bone to their existing customers who just purchased the software like upgrades...etc. What I would have done since it would not affect your bottom line at all and it would have made you look like the hero, is for the current suite holders...say....ok we have made money from the suite purchase from that customer already and if that customer did purchase a subscription for the same amount..they would have had more than 2 years worth of updates and the entire super suite included in that amount. So offer anyone who already purchased over $500 (which is more than what you are selling now) at the beginning of summer gets the entire suite plus at least a year worth of updates...or something like that which does not cost you anymore more money since many like me will feel cheated if I have to buy another module after paying as much as I did. These are not small changes your are making...they are big ones and people will notice. I hope you see what I am trying to say in a nice way.

Ray...I am not mad so don't take it that way...I am just pointing out a fact of how great software companies can get even bigger when their developers brag about how they care about their current customers as much as their new ones. Perfect is example is a email I sent to another software company several months ago when I had a busienss and they posted it on their website

"Ok, I have been on the fence for several months and decided to get your product after testing your newest version...which by the way rocks!!! I hope you guys are rich because you deserve it. You have no idea how good it feels being a small business to be able to afford your prices with such an exellent product. Keep the price stable and you guys will change lives of people around the world. Also, I have checked hundreds of post in your forum and even when people are being a pain...you guys are always respectful and provide great service...GREAT JOB!!!! We do notice...being new customers and all."

reviews4.html

John

Ray BorduinWebAssist

I appreciate the feedback. We do care about our existing customers, as you can see by our constant efforts to listen to them and improve our product line in response.

The value you have in the owned extension is still worth something, and really this offer doesn't change that. There is still an advantage for owning over leasing if you plan on using the extensions over time and don't want to be tied to the subscription.

You kind of want to have your cake and eat it too by owning the extensions outright and getting free updates and not having to pay the subscription.

jciol2009

This post has been deleted.

lyn212943

Will I still be able to upgrade my extensions?

I own almost all the WA extensions already and can't afford to add a monthly fee on top of that.

Will I still be able to get the updates and upgrades for the products I already purchased?

Thanks,
Lyn

Originally Said By: Ray Borduin
  We do care about our existing customers, as you can see by our constant efforts to listen to them and improve our product line in response.

The value you have in the owned extension is still worth something, and really this offer doesn't change that. There is still an advantage for owning over leasing if you plan on using the extensions over time and don't want to be tied to the subscription.  

Ray BorduinWebAssist

Yes, our traditional business will continue exactly as it has before. The subscription is a new way to experience and use webassist products with a lower barrier to entry, and doesn't effect the current owners or what they can expect from WebAssist in terms of upgrades.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...