close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

User email password not being sent

Thread began 9/12/2011 1:45 pm by danny405167 | Last modified 9/22/2011 7:32 am by Jason Byrnes | 2976 views | 12 replies |

danny405167

User email password not being sent

I have been trying to trouble shoot why my random email password is not being sent. I found the following threads:

1) showthread.php?t=21673&highlight=email+password

On the thread above you recommended the following,

"the code for the trigger is set for an image button type, but this page uses a standard submit button.

open the server behaviors panel, double click the email password server behavior and reset the trigger. "

I made my trigger to--> Button: Send pressed

Random password email does get send.

The following thread
2) showthread.php?t=19905&highlight=email+password

You said, "on the go to page, add the following code just after the body tag:
<pre><?php var_dump($_SESSION); ?></pre>"

I did that and still no email was sent. The only lines that I received on the got to page were the following:

array(1) {
["newPW"]=>
&string(9) "oB6F0KBDM"
}

I also used port 25 and port 587 but no luck. Did I miss something?

I also would like to add that the WIZARD forgot to add the session variable "newPW" in"sessionVariables" => array(""). I added the variable thinking that could the problem but I realized that sessionVariables is where the random password gets store when sending the email to the regirested user.

My stmp server is smtpauth.earthlink.net. Please do not say that there could be an issue with earthlink's smtp server because I have created a page sends email without any problem.

Attached Files
users_EmailPW.zip
Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

couple of questions to help me determine what direction to go in:

when you test the page, is it directing to the users_LogIn.php page? or staying on the users_EmailPW.php page?

who is your host?

danny405167

If the user email is valid, it returns to users_LogIn.php. If the email is invalid, the user remains in the users_EmailPW.php

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

ok, but what about the host.

danny405167

The first zip only had the port number (25) in. This zip has the server name, port, and return path filled in.

When you say "what about the host" are you refering to server name?

This is what I filled in the first step of the wizard

Email object: Mail for Windows
Server name: smtpauth.earthlink.net
Port: 25
Return path: dannyd@buildersfence.com
*Organization:
*X-mailer:
*Character set:

*Left them blank.

Attached Files
users_EmailPW.zip

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

when i ask who is your host, i mean what company are you using for web site hosting space.

the smtp server:
smtpauth.earthlink.net

looks like it would require authentication. The email passwrod server behavior does not support passing a user name and password to the SMTP server to authenticate, it cannot be used with SMTP servers that require authentication.

your host should have an alternative SMTP server that can be used that does not require authentication, you should contact them to find out what smtp server to use with a php script sending email.

danny405167

I guess I am s#@$ out of luck because earthlink requires smtp authentication.

I tested the files under 1and1 and I was able to receive my password. I even deleted the email settings in the email password wizard to see what would happen and still the email came through.

Does security assist 2.0 has the same limitations as 1.1? Meaning unable to send emails when the web hosting provider requires smtp authentication.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

have you tried using:
mail.earthlink.net

as the SMTP server?

Security Assist 2 allows for using Pear Mail for SMTP which supports passing authentication

danny405167

Thanks but using mail.earthlink.net did not worked either. I even try using smtp.earthlink.net but no luck.

Pear Mail? Chances are that earthlink either disabled it or got rid off just like they did with phpMyadmin.

Well at the moment the only thing I can do is to create a page where the the random password is display and then manually email it.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

contact earthlink support to see if there is another smtp server that they can recommend.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...