close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

user level authentication

Thread began 1/24/2011 3:22 am by tone397472 | Last modified 1/24/2011 11:37 am by Jason Byrnes | 1856 views | 5 replies |

tone397472

user level authentication

Hi,

(The way I learned to do this is with a field Admin in the database enum('n','y'), then create 2 radio buttons NO and YES ( Dream Weavers Wizard) set to NO as default. This is to make the choice between normal visitor NO default (do nothing) or Admin (YES) )

I can understand all tutorials about how to apply the authentication, but what is missing is the part before.

Of course on a real world login page you don't type Visitors in the username field (like in the WA tutorial), in my case you type the email address that is always different for every visitor.

What steps do I have to take so that a normal user is recognized as a Visitor with that email address and password. The same question about the Administrator.

I understand all steps concerning User Level Authentication and page directing, but I miss the couple of steps before in the database. Do I have to make a field with the visitors/administrators login code stored in it? That part I don't get!

Can you please explain this in detail to me?! Thanks in advance!

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

In Security Assist, user level authentication is done by setting the user level to a session variable on login.

In the authenticate user behavior, the third step allows you to select the columns that will be stored in sessions, you will need to select the userlevel column.

then when creating the access rule, you can use this new session variable to check whether it's value is y or n.

tone397472

Yes but can this variable be dynamic like when some one logs in with email and password he/she is automatically recognized as a visitor and when you type Administrator with a password you get access to the administrative pages.

In the tutorial I see the users name field filled in with Visitors. But normally you put your email/usersname there. That's what I don't understand.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

I think you are misunderstanding the tutorial.

Visitors is the name of the table that is being used.
This is selected on the first screen of the Authenticate used server behavior.

on the second screen of the authenticate user server behavior, you select the columns that will be used at login time.

the tutorial shows that the VisitorUsername column and the VisitorPassword columns are being used and compared to the username and password form elements.

tone397472

Yes and Visitor is also used as username! Makes it really clear. But this tutorial doesn't work with what I have I see pages I don't have with the choice of administrator, poweruser and user.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

where do you see visitor being used as username?

you will need to adapt the tutorial for your purposes, you are not using the other levels, so you dont need to create those rules.

what specifically are you having trouble with?

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...