close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

introduction to themes

Thread began 8/11/2010 8:15 am by Russell Collins | Last modified 8/13/2010 12:54 am by Russell Collins | 2278 views | 7 replies |

Russell CollinsBeta Tester

introduction to themes

Hi,

I just thought I'd do a little guide to themes for those who would like to understand the concept better.

view the pdf file attached.

Regards

Russ

Attached Files
themes.pdf
Sign in to reply to this post

Ray BorduinWebAssist

I like it...

You could even take it a step further... add a third diagram, because now you could have multiple templates running through the same theme as well.

It opens up the possibility to skin by providing any number of templates per theme without ever having to update the pages themselves.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

Steve

Thanks Russell, that helps as the documentation is a bit sparse to date.

I'm starting by creating dummy templates and testing to learn how things work. One thing that I found out is that if you add a new editable region to the parent template, it is not propagated to the sibling pages.

So while the ties to the Theme are pretty cool you do have to realize that the parent is in stone and will need to be removed and re-set to each page using the parent template.

Is the idea to use a plugin as the editable region in this case? Or just something to be aware of when using this extension in a new site?

Ray BorduinWebAssist

Just add the same named editable region to the theme as you do to the template and you should be all set.

You can't just add the editable region to the template because the theme page is now separate and the pages are based on the theme. If you add the same named editable region to the theme, then it will be added to all of your pages and the content can be edited.

Steve

Originally Said By: Ray Borduin
  Just add the same named editable region to the theme as you do to the template and you should be all set.

You can't just add the editable region to the template because the theme page is now separate and the pages are based on the theme. If you add the same named editable region to the theme, then it will be added to all of your pages and the content can be edited.  

??

Ray,
In my tests I created a base page with one editable region in the main body area.
Turned that to a template and then applied it to my first test page (page1.php)
Next I opened the DWT and turned that into a theme.
Then created page2.php as a "Create Page with Theme"

Next I decided I needed a new editable region since there is some client change etc that will require a new area for the whole site.

Open theme, add region and save.

Now all "new" pages created with the Theme show the new editable region. But all pages prior do not.

Prior pages do show the region with default content when rendered in the browser but they not display this in the page so you can not add content to the new region.

I'll post a couple screen shots as an example:

Ray BorduinWebAssist

Thank you for taking your time on the phone with me.

After looking into the issue and discussing your experience, expectations, and seeing what you were trying to do, it definitely gave me some ideas on how to improve the product and user experience in the future.

For one thing you were trying to use a simple .css page as your plugin source... Plugins are currently designed to work with complete .html pages (although pages can have any extension you would like and can contain php code)... but it expects a document with a <head> and <body> tag minimally.

I have a few comments about your usage:

1) if you only want dynamic .css pages, you can just add them all to the page, then use the show if utility that comes with framework builder so that it only shows one based on the desired trigger. Plugins and Themes don't really add any benefit to such a simple use case.

2) An implementation using themes may be a better option for you anyway... you can not only switch out .css dynamically but the html and entire page structure as well. This will allow you a much greater flexibility in skinning beyond just changing a .css file.

3) If you really wanted to use plugins, you could create a page that has the link to the css file in the head. Then use that as your plugin. Then framework builder will add the css to the page head where it is included.

I'm glad we had time to talk. Thanks again for your valuable feedback.

anonymous

Originally Said By: Russell Collins
  Hi,

I just thought I'd do a little guide to themes for those who would like to understand the concept better.

view the pdf file attached.

Regards

Russ  

Thanks Russell! That is a great way of looking at it and a way I hadn't used the product yet.

Regards,

Brian

Russell CollinsBeta Tester

Updated introduction

Hi,

I have made a more comprehensive introduction, and can be viewed here showthread.php?t=15279

Regards
Russ

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...