close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Insert filename into database on upload

Thread began 6/06/2010 4:46 pm by htm211248644 | Last modified 6/07/2010 7:46 am by Jason Byrnes | 1409 views | 2 replies |

htm211248644

Insert filename into database on upload

I posted this question in Universal Email as well. Anyway, I have a form with text and thumbnails. It works and a new record is inserted into my database. The thumbnails are also correctly uploaded. Problem is, I need a way to store the name of the uploaded file in the database as well, so I can display all thumbs associated with a particular record.

How do I pass the filename the user chooses to the corresponding variable in the recordset so I can store the filename? Do I need to create a hidden form element and somehow set it's value to the thumbnail name?

Sign in to reply to this post

htm211248644

OK, I figured it out after much head scratching. First you use DataAssist to build your insert record page. Then you create the upload file behavior in file manipulation for the form field of your choice. Then you go to server behavior, click add, and select insert from the DataAssist section (not the first insert behavior). From there, you specify your database info and session variable (which is filled in for you). On the next screen, you select the form field you want to use to store the thumbnail image text/file name. Click on the lightening bolt icon and from within the dynamic form part, double click on simple file name. Don't forget to add .jpg or whatever your image extension is as the file upload breaks up the name. For trigger, I selected "any successful upload". That way, once my first thumbnail was uploaded, this behavior would have the file name ready to insert into the record. It works like a charm, but took forever to figure out!

I hope this helps anyone else who might have the same problem.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

Instead of using a separate Insert record Server behavior, you can edit the one that DataAssist adds to the page.

Also instead of using the simple file name from the form collection, Expand the Uploaded Files collection in the Dynamic Data Bindings and use the Server File name.

There is also a tutorial availabel to help with this available on the Universal Email support page:
universal-email/

look in the how to section for the how to titled "Applying File Upload to DataAssist Insert and Update pages"

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...