close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Can't get MySQL Connection part of tutorial to work?

Thread began 9/16/2009 4:55 am by gregurke385889 | Last modified 1/01/2010 9:34 pm by mathorejohn397508 | 10811 views | 25 replies |

gregurke385889

Can't get MySQL Connection part of tutorial to work?

Hi there

(MacBook Dual 2GHz 10.5.6 Dreamweaver CS4)

So after solving the mySQL login issue and enabling MAMP successfully, I now have another frustrating stumbling block.

I have not been able to get the "connWA" MySQL conncetion to work and I have followed the tutorial to the letter. (god you must hear that phrase a lot ;^))

IT gives me the following warning (see attachment 1) when I get to the final step and hit the "select" button to choose the digital_goods file.

NOTE: If I manually type the name in it allows the database to appear but it would appear it doesn't actually work, as when I click on "test" it gives the warning (attachment 1)

HELP!? I can't go any further and so desperately want to finish this bluesky thing!

thanks in advance
DG

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

The errors you post point to a problem in the Testing Server Section of your site definition.

Specifically the URL Prefix.

From the error, you have set the URL prefix to "http://127.0.0.1", it sounds like this is not a valid URL to serve pages using MAMP.

Try using localhost instead

this assumes that your site files are in the root of the MAMP htdocs directory, if the are in a sub folder of the MAMAP htdocs folder, you will need to include that sub folder name in the URL prefix as well. For example, if you site files are at htdocs/mySite the URL prefix needs to be mySite

gregurke385889

Yes tried that a number of ways no success

Hey thanks for the reply.

I don't know how to set the "127.0.1" etc etc.

But I followed your directions and have attached snapshots 3, 4, 5, showing how the directories are set up in MAMP as well as the Dreamweaver site setup.

Unfortunately I still get the identical error message again.

Perhaps the attachments will show up something obvious to you. Sadly I am only a lowly designer who doesn't know squat about programming or terminal setups so this stuff seems a lot harder than the tutorial lets on?

look forward to your thoughts
cheers
DG

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

looking at the MAMP documentation, it appears the default port is 8888, so the URL should be:
localhost:8888

try that address for the URL prefix.

gregurke385889

That Worked! Now next step won't aaaaaah! :|

Thanks for that, the :8888 did fix it. The WA tutorial says that is selected automaticaly which it did but clearly wasn't right.

OK now tutorial says hit select and now it works hooray!

BUT another hurdle can you believe it?

When I hit select it shows me (attachment 6) which gives me only 2 selection options, yet in the WA tutorial it has 6 options showing and asks to select "physical_goods" (attachment 7).

Because my list is not the same I cannot go any further... aaaaaaaaaaaahhh.

Before you ask I went back to the start of the WA tutorial and there is no reference to placement of these files/options?

(Forgive me for these seemingly basic questions, I wouldn't ask if the tutorial was clearer on troubleshooting these issues)

cheers
DG

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

The Schema Tour section of the DB Starter kit walks through using the MySQL Query browser to crate the Schemas using the .sql files included. Please see that section of the DB Starter kit.

madelectrical386948

Hi Gregurke,

I found a nice link to help with the setup. It comes from Adobe and by doing it, I believe it will shed you some light. It does support the Windows and Mac. It helped me a lot.

setting_up_php_02.html

Mike

gregurke385889

Database Connection Issue still there

Hey Jason

I mustn't have been clear about that as I have already done that part of the tutotial. I have followed the WA tutorial and created the schemas in MySQL without a hitch.

The attachments I sent last thread show however that I am not "seeing" the respective db files as per what the tutorial tells me to expect and select from (physical_goods).

What I didn't attach was a snapshot of how my MySQL shows those dbs are in existence which may help from your end?! (attachment 8)

So I think this is the best way to phrase my query:
Why can't I see the schemas that are showing up in MySQL but not in Dreamweaver?

I can easily go to the site root and see that the MAMP db folder has s chemas in it? (attachment 9)

Hope that is clearer for you to direct me to where exactly these files should be found for dreamweaver to allow me to select them and continue the tutorial...

cheers DG

gregurke385889

Thanks Mike

Cheers Mike

appreciate the link I just breezed thru it and sawa couple of things I may be able to tweak, the good thing is I had already done all the MAMP stuff, but as you know it could just be one teeny freakin' thing and the whole circus gets rabies if you know what i mean.

will post a report if I get any good solutions out of it ;^)

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

Two things that may help me see what the problem are:

1) can you post a screen shot sowing the testing server tab of your Dreamweaver site definition.

2) Also a screen shot showing the database connection widow before you click the select button.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...