close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

DataAssist Use

Thread began 4/23/2011 6:29 am by cherry8723424721 | Last modified 4/25/2011 2:38 pm by cherry8723424721 | 4747 views | 14 replies |

cherry8723424721

DataAssist/UE Filename Storing in DB & I-File Storing in Directory

Hi:

I'm using Dreamweaver CS5. I just got the Data Assist and the Universal Email extensions. The reason for getting them is to include a field in a webpage that will allow my end users to upload their photos to their personal profiles.

I understand that it isn't possible to store image files in a Php Database and that, therefore, I have to store the name (reference) of the file in the DB and store the image file in a separate directory. However, when I go to Insert > WebAssist > DataAssist the only options I get are: DataAssist Wizard, DataAssist Search Wizard and Repeating Table.

I don't need to design webpages using DataAssist, as I'm perfectly happy with the ones I got and I don't think I need to search my Php Database either, although I'm not so sure of the whole gamut of uses that particular sub-extension might have. Finally, I don't think I would need to repeat any tables either.

Anyone has a clear idea on how to do this? I just need to create a field that will allow end users to upload their photos to their profiles (i.e., store file name in a DB and store image file in a directory)

Thank you for your attention.

Sign in to reply to this post

John LangerBeta Tester

The uploading of images is achieved through Universal Email not DataAssist

Server Behaviours>Webassist>File manipulation

cherry8723424721

DatAssist Use

John:

Thank you for your reply. However, that doesn't tell me much. According to Jason Byrne I need both the DataAssist and the Universal Email extensions to accomplish the image-file-upload task in question, but what are the SPECIFIC STEPS to follow?

Anyone knows?

John LangerBeta Tester

Ok well...

In DataAssist you need to create your upload page. Now DataAssist does not create a file upload field. So just stick to the default Text field.

Once you are out of the DataAssist wizard you need to change the text input field to a file upload field (Insert>Form>FileField).

Once you've done that you can use the UE Server Behaviour>Webassist>File Manipulation>Upload behaviour to specify where you want to upload the file to.

The DataAssist wizard would have created a insert behaviour. Double click this and find the Filefield field and then click the lightening bolt. Find the Server Entity for File Upload (This is a WebAssist specific thing that's been added to your bindings). Click the one called Server File Name. Then just OK out of the dialogues.

That should be it. A very rough guide.

More specific help can be found in the help documentation. This is no longer that easy to find. The reason is that the file upload was originally a separate extension called Digital File Pro. The following link to a PDF describes how to do this in detail. This is OLD documentation that refers to digital file pro. All you need do is realise that it's now called "file manipulation" and you'll be good to go.

dfp_da_insert_update_ht.pdf

cherry8723424721

DataAssist Use

John:

Many thanks for your detailed reply.

However, when you say that "In DataAssist you need to create your upload page", do you mean that I NECESSARILY HAVE to create my profile-upload page using Data Assist?

Do you mean I cannot use the profile-upload page I already have designed which works PERFECTLY well except for the image-file-upload field?

John LangerBeta Tester

No you don't have to use DataAssist. The file manipulation although part of UE is a standalone part of the extension. All you need is a FileField on any form.

John LangerBeta Tester

Actually I might be wrong there thinking about it. If you are inserting the details into a database for retrieval which is what I think you originally said then the File upload interacts with dataAssist's insert record behaviour.

cherry8723424721

DataAssit Use

John:

Yes, so what about your maybe being wrong? Does it mean I actually have to design my profile-upload page using Data Assist?

John LangerBeta Tester

Yes I may be wrong. Dont get fooled by the "Expert" part of my title :-). I only know what I know and real comprehensive expert help will have to wait until the WebAssist Offices reopen on Tuesday.

But answering your question to the best of my ability, you do not need to design your form using DataAssist. You just need to use DataAssist's insert record behaviour. Then you can choose to insert the "Server File Name" from the bindings panel. So your design is safe.

Hope that helps and sorry for the delay in replying.

cherry8723424721

DataAssit Use

Hi John:

Thanks for replying. And yes, maybe I'll have to wait to reach someone at WebAssist to solve this issue. As it is, I still don't know how to bring the Insert-Record behavior into play.

As I mentioned in my initial post, when I go to Insert > WebAssist > DataAssist the only options I get are: DataAssist Wizard, DataAssist Search Wizard and Repeating Table.

I really hope I don't have to design my webpages using DataAssist. I'm a reasonably good graphics designer and I wouldn't like to be forced to use any graphics designed by anyone else (would you?)

By the way, why would I have to wait till Tuesday to reach someone at WebAssist? Are they on holiday this Monday? FYI: I'm in Turkey.

Thanks again for your attention.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...