close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Pre XAMPP install advice sought

Thread began 2/08/2010 10:14 am by neilo | Last modified 2/08/2010 7:39 pm by neilo | 2257 views | 6 replies |

neilo

Pre XAMPP install advice sought

Hello lovelies,

Trying to run PowerStore3, my testing server fails the set up test, with cURL and GD libraries being the -ages of which I am short. This is the first time I have been made aware of any such inadequacy, so I began the process of enabling both via my php.ini, but it turns out I need to go in search of various .dlls, set new paths, stop and start services etc. and the prospect just makes me feel tired.

I am thinking that this may be a good time to consider ditching IIS in favour of XAMPP (Win32/Vista).

So, bearing in mind that I have barely enough brain cells left to tell the difference between a cup of tea and a badger, I was hoping someone could let me know what pitfalls I might expect, particularly in relation to:

1. Vista. All the documentation hints at there being problems with XAMPP on Vista, with regard to UAC and Admin privileges.

2. MySql databases. Will I be able to set a path to my existing local db data, or will I have to export the sql from all existing databases before installing XAMPP and then importing them all via my (new) phpMyAdmin? Can I satill access my old phpMyAdmin?

3. Will PowerStore run (test OK) following a default XAMPP install, or will I still need to do some configuration in php.ini?

4. Will my install of MySql Workbench / MySQL Migration Toolkit / MySQL Administrator / MySQL Query Browser still work OK, - i.e. find the databases?

Any tips and advice pre-install would be appreciated.

Sign in to reply to this post

Office Guy-172461

Hey neilo,

You might be interested in doing it this way to avoid Vista problems:

Setup a local standalone testing server
288/

You will have to export and import your databases because you are switching database servers regardless of where the server is located. Not that big a deal:

Exporting and Importing a database using phpMyAdmin
150/

Anything you use now with mySQL should work fine. Just think of it like switching hosts. The only change I had to make for PowerStore3 was giving the user View permissions.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

there really is no need to ditch IIS for this issue. You simply need to edit the php.ini file to enable the cURL and GD libraries.

change the following two lines in the PHP.ini:
;extension=php_curl.dll
;extension=php_gd2.dll

to:
extension=php_curl.dll
extension=php_gd2.dll

then restart the server to enable GD and cURL.

neilo

Hi both, and thanks.

That was my first thought, but the php.ini did not already list any extensions so I would have had to insert those lines, declare a path to the extension folder (which was empty), then go off in search of the required files for both the extension folder (php_curl.dll, php_gd2.dll) and, apparently, the necessary system folder dlls (libeay32.dll, ssleay32.dll), and I'm not even sure what those are for.

The last PHP installation was from a windows msi installer, which came with the barest working config, (replacing my previous full install) and not from a 'noistall' zip.

So my choice was to either (to be safe) download the zip full 'noinstall' version and then re-install and configure, or download xampp and give that a whirl.

Now I'm torn. If I do the XAMPP thing, even if there are no problems, I am going to have to redefine testing server for rather a lot of local sites.

Still don't know what to expect!

I do have a question though, - with XAMPP - how does one update the components? Or does XAMPP automate that? Also still like to know if mySql workbench/gui tools would be OK with XAMPP.

Office Guy-172461

If you go the standalone route, you could just move sites over to the new server as needed. Takes all the pressure off.

It not that hard to move anyway.

You just copy your site folder to xamp/htdocs/

Import your database into the new server.

Change the path of the testing server in DW.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

The MSI Installer for PHP is terrible, even the PHP website recommends you do not use it and perform a manual install.

if you use XAMPP, you should turn off UAC in windows Vista.

The XAMPP Installer will automatically extract and configure Apache and PHP, it is basicly the same as performing a manual install.

you will still need to edit the php.ini file to enable some components like cURL, but the dll files should be in place already.

neilo

Many thanks guys,

Am again indebted for your time and know-how.

I am going to do a 'double', - firstly do a full 'clean-sweep' PHP install for my (current) work-horse machine just to show it and microsoft who's boss and keep things rolling, and concurrently recommission a retired machine to try out the Ubuntu / Xampp stand alone idea - partly as an exercise, and partly as a failsafe/backup solution - and possible final solution once I sort out my network needs. I'm also curious about Linux so this will be a good excuse to explore.

Cheers for the input.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...