close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Rotation of Position of Dynamic Data

Thread began 2/01/2010 9:44 am by gardnerjcombs399937 | Last modified 2/12/2010 2:57 pm by Eric Mittman | 3769 views | 11 replies |

gardnerjcombs399937

Rotation of Position of Dynamic Data

I need custom code to rotate the display of dynamic data.

I use Dreamweaver CS3, Windows version. My page is PHP, and my database uses an Apache MySql combo. I purchased the DataAssist extension from Webassist to help me display the data in two columns. I need for the data to rotate positions each time the data is called from the server. Can someone help me with this issue?

Thanks.

Sign in to reply to this post

Eric Mittman

I noticed that you had not gotten a reply on this and thought it might need some more detail. Please post back and include some more detail about how this should look and work from the perspective of the user. We will try to help you with whatever we can.

gardnerjcombs399937

Additional Info: Rotation of Position of Dynamic Data

My site list attorneys. The visitor clicks a link on the home page for a legal practice area. When the listing page appears, it draws from a database and displays a photo and some information about each attorney. The listing page layout has two columns per row. The first listing goes in the left column on the first row; the second goes in the right column on the same row; the third goes in the left column of the second row; and so on. I want the listings to rotate each time the page loads. For instance: If the listing page draws 12 attorneys for the practice area, the first visitor to that practice area listing page will see attorney #1 in the top row, left column. The next visitor will see attorney #2 in the top row, left column, and attorney #1 will appear in the 12th position on row 6, right column. My goal is to allow the attorneys to rotate through the various positions as visitors click on the page.

Please let me know how I can get this done or who may be able to write the code for me.

Thanks.

Eric Mittman

Thanks for the details, I think I understand now what you are trying to do. This is not a feature of any of our tools and will require a custom solution. As an overview you would need to have an indexing column in your table for the lawyers. Next you would need to update the recordset on the listing page to be ordered by this new column.

This is all pretty straight forward but the next part is the challenge. You will need to loop over each record from your rs and update the indexing column you created. You will need to update it in a way that relists the records the way you would like them to appear. One way to do that would be to take the index of the last record and update the first record with this value, then for all of the others you can just subtract one from the index value.

gardnerjcombs399937

Thanks for the info. I think it's over my head. Do you know of anyone that will access my site and write the code to make it happen. I will of course pay for the work.

Thanks.

Eric Mittman

I do not have an immediate recommendation for you. I have copied this thread over to the jobs board to so that it can get some more visibility there. Here is a link to the copied thread:

showthread.php?t=9867

online.order393818

Repeat Region Rotation Reload

I'm trying to incorporate a similar idea, but slightly different and wondering if either of you can offer any help?

What I have is a “add to cart detail page” with (4) repeat regions grouped at the bottom of this add to cart detail page with a image link within each of the (4) repeat regions.

The first idea of what I would like to do is have a 'next and previous control button' on both sides of the repeat region group to scroll backward and forward. All the while each repeat region reloads a linked images from the respective tables in a ascending or random order. When a image is selected from either of the repeat region it will reload and populate the add to cart detail page!

I think this might involve the use of a 'frameset' inorder to work properly if I'm not mistaken. Is that correct?

The second idea of what I would like to do is have the same (4) repeat region to reload a different image each time the add to cart page is visited.

Any input from the support team will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Jw

Eric Mittman

I'm trying to visualize your setup and if it is like what I think it is you should be able to do this using some recordset paging to scroll through the different images in the repeat regions. Youcan add these controlls from within DW by going to:

insert > data objects > recordset paging

If your images link to the details page with an id that the page is setup to work with then this should give you the result you are looking for.

As for loading new images please describe exactly how you would like this part to work, are the images random, or based on a value. Does it change every time or is the changed based on the item. Please describe exactly how you would like this part to work so we can help give you some pointers.

online.order393818

Repeat Region Rotation Reload

Eric,

That's is pretty much how I see it as well. The data is pull down from (4) different recordsets nest together at the bottom of the page in seperate div tag, or in a table if that works... I would like for the images/items to be ascending base on the value of each individual recordset. And the change would occur each time in all the recordsets whenever the user scroll left or right through the list! And upon selecting a image/item from either of the (4) recordsets-that image/item would reload in the detail page displaying all the detailed information associated to that particular item.

Thank you,
Jw

Note: Looking back over some of my previous threads I've notice an addition of the 'edit' button. It's nice to see that the support team considered my suggestion!

Eric Mittman

This is not a very straight forward way to page recordset values and will require a custom implementation.

It would be much easier if the images at the bottom of the page came from the same recordset. If so you could just put in a single recordset navigation control and be done with it.

If you want to have have one set of controls to page through multiple recordsets you will run into problems if the number of records differ in these recordsets. If this is not a problem for you then you could do this by doing the following:

Add the recordsets, make sure to add in the order by for each one.

Add the repeat region around each recordsets bindings, make sure to show the same number of records from each.

Once that is in place on the page you can then add in a set of navigation for each repeat region you have.

The final part is to update the code for the recordsets in regards to the paging, you will need to update the code so that all recordsets are looking at the same get variables for the paging.

This is an overview of the steps that would need to be taken to achieve this. It will be a custom endeavor though and I will not be able to provide specific support of this feature.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...