close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Dilema

Thread began 1/30/2010 9:07 pm by va396092 | Last modified 2/03/2010 11:49 am by websiteTuner | 1810 views | 4 replies |

va396092

Dilema

I have a client whom I will be redesigning their main site along with their 27 departments (they are a local rural government). They want a simple CMS. My proposal is due Thursday. I have tested, researched and read many documentations on various CMS's, including PowerCMS (PCMS) over the past several months. PCMS looks very similar to Website Baker (WB). I have tested WB on a local XAMPP and it runs great.

However, I am considering PCMS because of the many DW extensions that are included with membership which I'll be able to use with all other clients, and lastly, because the forum appears to be pretty active, which is very important to me.

For this major project, I will be using a DW template (from justdreamweaver, which templates I find easy to use, professionally eye-pleasing and has clean CSS).

DILEMA:
I'm concerned about having to incorporate PCMS when I have not had the opportunity to test.

1.) My client is running Windows2003 server and I'm not quite sure how I can test PowerCMS at the same time I'll be redesigning the sites.

2.) I know I can install XAMPP for Windows as my test server, but how will I make the transition to clients server without their site being interrupted if there are connectivity issues, etc?

3.) I'm concerned because I could have the entire local government's site down while trying to wait on support or while trying to figure out myself. I'm PHP novice, but fluent in CSS/HTML and design.

4.) Should I get them up/running with their new redesign first, then incorporate PowerCMS?
Would this be feasible If I will be creating a Master Template and Nested Templates?

Sorry, for the extensive amount of information. I figure the more you knew, the better position you'd be in to answer with clarity.

Oh, one more thing, I'm hoping to use WA extensions as add-ons to accomplish these tasks:
a.) incorporating more registered users as editors to pages in PowerCMS
b.) site search and sitemap
c.) their HR department would like an easier way to post job openings. Specifically, the same job openings from time-to-time without having to re-enter

Any WA extensions/scripts on the above would be helpful.

Thank you,
Monica

Sign in to reply to this post

Eric Mittman

The Power CMS is just a prebuilt content management app. When you install it on a working php server you just need to connect it to the MySQL database. When you add content it will be saved in the database. To get the content to appear on any page in your site you must ensure that it is a php type of page and you just need to add in the CMS code that is in the admin area.

You can use the Power CMS on a live site or a testing server. When it is time to transfer things over you just move the files and export the db.

You should definitely get things up an running with the redesign, then you can use Power CMS to control the content on the pages.

You can make use of Security Assist to update the security on the Power CMS pages. This will allow you to have a set of admins for manipulating the pages. You can make use of some other WebAssist tools to accomplish these other things. For the jobs listings you could just create specific job listings in Power CMS then only show them when you need to.

shadow329043

Your have to make sure that PHP is working properly on the Windows servers before installing PowerCMS - You can then go ahead a create the initial site and get the content into the databases. The only thing that you should remember is to name the new site pages a different name from the current website pages - for example, name the current home page index_new.php and leave the current home page named index.php (those are just examples!! You should get the idea) When you are ready to go live, just rename each of the pages to their replacement names and upload those pages to the site - they should be live instantly. You would also be able to check them visually by going to index_new.php or what ever the new page name is.
Using a DW template is no problem - my site uses a DW template and implementation was easy! Feel free to check it out (a link is under my name - just click on it above)......some features I am still working on but it is a working site under PowerCMS.
Modifying PowerCMS to allow multiple users to edit pages and other advanced customizations can be left to do last since they will take more time.....but you would have the basic new site up and running.

websiteTuner

Originally Said By: shadow329043
  Your have to make sure that PHP is working properly on the Windows servers before installing PowerCMS  

Or perhaps that PHP will work properly with PCMS. Their server is running the current version of PHP and have some php programs running successfully. I'll be working with client's IT person and Les Crowley who will be modifying PCMS when the times come to install PCMS and create db.

Originally Said By: shadow329043
  You can then go ahead a create the initial site and get the content into the databases.  

I think I'll go ahead and redesign all 30 depts locally, or at least on my shared paid host server, then when completed put up a "down for maintenance" home page on a Friday and upload live and test through the weekend.

Thank you, Shadow

websiteTuner

Originally Said By: Eric Mittman
  You can use the Power CMS on a live site or a testing server. When it is time to transfer things over you just move the files and export the db.

You should definitely get things up an running with the redesign, then you can use Power CMS to control the content on the pages.  

Here's the plan: update site locally creating index.php as "temporarily down for maintenance..or something" on a Friday evening. then upload live (removing existing site) on Friday midnight and test through weekend and "hopefully" be up and running by workday Monday.

Finally, after all is well, I will then go back in and implement the modified PCMS. I understand that I'll have to add dev notes to each 200 pages, or so.

You can make use of Security Assist to update the security on the Power CMS pages. This will allow you to have a set of admins for manipulating the pages. You can make use of some other WebAssist tools to accomplish these other things.  

Noted: SA for more user definitions and SiteImport to retrieve all PDFs.

For the jobs listings you could just create specific job listings in Power CMS then only show them when you need to.  

Les Crowley, from DynamicImages, will be assisting me with the job listings part, but will pass on your suggestion of incorporating into PCMS.
Thank you. I've been designing/dev site for over 8 years, but this is my largest project to date.

/:/Monica

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...