close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Testing Server Question

Thread began 11/25/2009 5:21 pm by msdesign1388986 | Last modified 12/09/2009 10:39 am by Neil Beadle | 4027 views | 19 replies |

msdesign1388986

Testing Server Question

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum...I've confused myself into a circle trying to set up a testing server on my computer to use with WebAssist add-ons...can I use existing web space I already have (like a free account with Earthlink or purchased space) as a testing server? If so, what steps do I need to take to accomplish that? Thank you in advance for any guidance...

Sign in to reply to this post

Office Guy-172461

There are many advantages to using a local testing server. It's much faster and easier to recover from coding mistakes.

XAMPP makes the process very easy:

How to set up a local testing server for Dreamweaver
144/

anonymous

Office Guy's suggestion is great... if, by chance you are on Mac, go with MAMP.

Best regards,

Brian

Office Guy-172461

Hi Brian,

Did you know that XAMPP is available for Linux, Windows, Mac OS X, and Solaris?

There a link to the Mac version there too. Life is good. :)

anonymous

Hi OG,

No, I did not know that XAMPP was available for Mac... see I learn something new everyday. Happy Thanksgiving!

One question, I have though, can you create virtual directories like you can in MAMP Pro. If that is possible, I cannot see renewing the license on every new MAMP Pro release.

Regards,

Brian

Office Guy-172461

Not sure how you are using virtual directories but I use the structure:

C:\xampp\htdocs\website1
C:\xampp\htdocs\website2
C:\xampp\htdocs\website3 etc...

Each folder acts exactly as if it was the root on a shared server.

To use the second domain, you type website2 into the browser and everything works as expected on a remote host.

This has pictures of the paths used:
Creating a dynamic site definition in Dreamweaver
151/

Happy Thanksgiving to you as well.

Office Guy-172461

Hey Brian,

If you do go with XAMPP for Mac, maybe you could write a Mac version of the guide and I'll post it with the other one. It's hard for me to do screen shots and look like I know what I'm talking about when I don't have a Mac. :)

msdesign1388986

Thank you for the advice and link! I will pursue that today...

clickhappy392103

I gotta agree with the pro's. For a long time, I was testing on a live server. It worked, but it was more hassle than it was worth. Once I followed some of the links on here about Xampp, I never looked back. It only took a few hours of goofing around with it to really figure it all out, worth every second. I am probably going to set up xampp on one of my rarely used computers in a week or two and invest a little time to figure out how to set that one up for clients to be able to see the progress on the sites. I would do it on my main pc but the whole security issue bothers me some.

msdesign1388986

I appreciate the advice about not using a live testing server and am going to go for XAMPP...Thank you!

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...