close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Using an Authenticating SMTP Mail Server

Thread began 11/23/2009 9:27 am by barryt238824 | Last modified 5/04/2010 7:33 am by Jason Byrnes | 3364 views | 9 replies |

barryt238824

Using an Authenticating SMTP Mail Server

I have successfully set up the user registration system on my live website, the only area that does not work is the email confirmation. The user never receives an email to verify from.

I think it may be an issue with the email system being an AUTHSMTP server and needing a user name and password to validate the sender.

Is it just a case of sending the server address with username and password included as a string?

Anyones help would be greatly appreciated.

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

Double check with your host to see if they support sending emails through PHP scripts using the php mail() function.

If they do, ask for a sample script. If not, ask if they support Pear Mail for SMTP.

If they support Pear Mail for SMTP, you can modify the contact us page using Universal Email to change the mail object being used to Pear Mail.

barryt238824

Many thanks.

I am checking with my host for Pear SMTP support. Which pages will I need changing to configure the registration solution pack as there is no 'contact us' page to edit?

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

You will need to modify the Universal Email server behavior on the following pages:

users_Registration.php
users_Registration_full.php
users_EmailPW.php

barryt238824

Universal Email Almost Gets Me There!

Many thanks.

I have setup universal email with these pages, when universal email asks for an authentication username and password is this for the PEAR system or for my smtp server?

I am also having issues with the registration pages, they process with no errors but instead of completing as expected the browser asks me where I would like to download the php file instead telling me that an email has been sent to my email address! Is this a symptom of error handling in the php code?

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Barry

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

There should be no authentication needed for the Pear module, the authentication it is asking for is the username and password of the SMTP server.

Where it is trying to download the PHP script, it indicates an error in the code.

darryl394578

[QUOTE=Jason Byrnes;31139]Double check with your host to see if they support sending emails through PHP scripts using the php mail() function.

The do and I got the following sample script. Now what do I do with it? (Having same issue as originator of thread)

<? mail("address@test.com", "Subject", "Message"); ?>

What files do I modify to use the php mail()function? I currently have my outgoing mail server typed into the Globals file and so it wants authentication.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

the user registration solution pack uses the mail function already.

The sample script you provide seams a little lite, but it looks like your host sets the smtp server for you in the php.ini file.

Try leaving the smtP server and port setting blank in the wa globals so it will use the defaults set in the php.ini.

darryl394578

Still didn't work

I changed the server to "" and didn't see any line for a port setting. It didn't work with this change.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

you also posted to this thread with the same issue
showthread.php?t=12647

Please stick to one thread to limit confusion.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...