close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Data Assist, Security Assist or some combination?

Thread began 4/20/2009 12:03 pm by biz295654 | Last modified 7/29/2009 9:44 am by Ray Borduin | 3186 views | 6 replies |

biz295654WebAssist

Data Assist, Security Assist or some combination?

The more I try to think this through, the more confused I'm getting.

I have Data Assist, and can use it successfully. Does all it should do.

I have Security Assist and am in learning mode. I have successfully set up a user system, level of access, log in, send email if one forgets a password, and can set page access to certain settings.

I've read and reread all the help files, watched the videos etc.

BUT, I think I need to combine these two to get to where I need to go, but the fog hasn't lifted yet. I think I'm missing a basic concept.

I want to establish user-specific pages. A login system that after the person is logged in, he/she can review database information specific to only their records.

Reading some of the posts in SA area, it has occurred to me that instead of trying to use SA for this project, that DA is what I should be doing, using SA for only when they forget their user password.

If someone can take this down to the lowest "dummy" level and point me in the right direction, I'd so appreciate it.

Sign in to reply to this post

Ray BorduinWebAssist

If you have SA and DA then you should use SA only for:

1) Login Page
2) Forgot Password
3) Page Restrictions
4) Hide/Show based on login

DA should be used for all database inserts and updates.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

biz295654WebAssist

Further questions, pls...

So if someone logs in, they are in the log in only area, a record set on that page, then uses a variable that matches the log in somehow? Match to user name? Am I getting warmer?

So

Hide show based on login is what I need to figure out? Use the record set to determine to show all records that match, say, user name?

Ray BorduinWebAssist

In the login authentication server behavior that comes with security assist you can store as many session variables as you want from the logged in user profile.

You can use the session variable then to filter a recordset to see records specific to this user if you stored say the userID.

Then you can create rules based on these session variables and their values. Then you can use these rules as triggers or in conditional regions to hide and show specific content.

biz295654WebAssist

Thanks... some of this still over my head, but I will keep trying. I appreciate your prompt responses.

brian.ray338324

user login to show specific pages

I recently purchased PowerStore 2. I have also been able to get the user logins to work. I am looking to be able to have customers login, and only see their data/pages. I noticed the response in this thread, but am unsure on how to implement. Is there any way I/we can get some sample coding/pages/tutorials on how to segment the views dependant on the user login?
Any snippets or examples would really help. Thx.

Ray BorduinWebAssist

The users ID is stored in the session when they log in.

To only view their records you would use that ID to filter the results.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...