close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Database Connection

Thread began 4/16/2009 8:24 am by jerryn19az370707 | Last modified 4/16/2009 5:47 pm by jerryn | 3544 views | 6 replies |

jerryn19az370707

Database Connection

As near as I can tell, when I place the User Registration Solution Pack into a website, the database connect file is named "localhost".

If I have a current website, and the current database connection file is "connXYZ", do I need to change that to "localhost", or is there a way to configure the URSP database connection file to whatever you want?

Sorry, but I am having difficulities following the help files on this issue. I use DW CS4, and I purchased URSP and the Web Developer Suite.

I published a website and have it running with URSP and a database connection file of "localhost".

I want to add the URSP to a site that is already published and running with a database connection of "connXYZ" (example connection file name).

Your help understanding the "connection" would be appreciated.

jerry

Sign in to reply to this post

Ray BorduinWebAssist

Update the connection server username and password, but leave the connection named localhost. Either that or create a new connection and do a find and replace in all of the files with your connection name in place of localhost.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

jerryn

Ray, thanks for the quick response.

I need to break my initial query into two parts. Here is the first.

I am starting a site from scatch using DW CS4 with no help from any of the Web Developer Suite wizards or extensions.

If I place all of the URSP files into a DW site and am testing it locally on my computer, the connection file in URSP is by default named "localhost.php".

I understand how to configure the "connection file" for my database.

The site is working "locally".

I desire to change the "database connection" from "localhost.php", to "connXYZ.php".

Here is what I am going to do (I think):

From DW CS4 I will:

1) delete the connection named localhost
2) delete the file named "localhost.php"
3) add a database connection name "connXYZ" and configure it with "localhost", "username", "password" (this should create the file "connXYZ.php"
4) "find" in all site files "localhost", and "replace" with "connXYZ"

Is this correct?

I think the "root url" in the globals file is "http://localhost/"sitename"". This would have to remain the same would it not. Are there any other instances in any of the URSP files that should not be replaced?

Thanks again for your help.

jerry

Ray BorduinWebAssist

This all seems correct. I would replace it everywhere and then you can just update the globals again to be what you need.

jerryn

Ray, thanks again for your quick response. I'll try the above and see what happens. Now for the second issue.

I have a website that is currently published live and running on the web, with no WA extensions but some user pages and administrative pages that I created in DW. The database connection is "connABC" (example).

I want to modify the site by adding the URSP for "user registration" and "profile" maintenance, as well as the administrative pages included in URSP.

Is there a way to place the URSP pages in this site, which is already configured with the connection "connABC", without going through the routine we just discussed.

jerry

Ray BorduinWebAssist

Probably not any other way. You could just update the localhost connection to be the exact same values and not update anything but the connection.

jerryn

Yes, of course. As I think about it, the connection "name" is really not much of factor in the overall scheme of things.

Thanks.

jerry

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...