close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Can't open any of your PDFs

Thread began 9/28/2009 1:01 pm by mehd389652 | Last modified 10/03/2009 5:56 am by gruant2000381341 | 4533 views | 16 replies |

mehd389652

Can't open any of your PDFs

I keep getting a message they are damaged

I'm on a mac book pro version 10.5.7

Can these files be sent to me via email ?

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

Try right clicking the the PDF link and select the Save Link As option to save the PDF file to your computer before opening it in Acrobat reader.

mehd389652

hope I don't have to keep doing this on every program ?

Hi Jason,

I'm not having a very good time of it.

What you suggested did work for the pdf. The problem is that once you open the pdf. There are more links in the pdf and you can't right mouse click on those from the opened pdf file and why should I have to right mouse click at all they should just not be used at all on your web site . . .

It annoys me that I have to do this. If I plan on using more of you programs it is going to be a nightmare navigating any of it? Pdfs are not a good idea. Why are your instructions not displayed on your site in regular xhtml so that we all get something without having to jump though hoops which ultimately drives business away from your site.

I'm only mentioning it because no one is going to tell you that. They will just click out and never come back which is how I'm feeling right now. I spent a week end wasting time with some pdfs working but the majority of them not working and having to send emails to support only to have them tell me "sometimes they take a while to load" ?????

I'm hoping in the future some consideration will be taken regarding this.

Kind regards,

Mike

Office-172461

Must be something happening on your system. I don't have any problems with any of the PDFs. Left-Click to download, and all of the links work fine.

PDFs are a standard way of distributing documents to people using different operating systems and software. It's much easier to print PDFs as well.

mehd389652

Mike again Jason on this issue

Do you own this business or are you just working for someone there ?

Here lays the difference ?

Kind Regards,

Mike

Office-172461

Wrong on both counts. Just a happy customer. The only difference is that I volunteered to help those with less experience. Sorry for trying to help.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

all of the individual PDF files are located in the How To section of the Power CMS Support Page:

powercms/

I have tested downloading the PDF Files on a number of computers here in the office without an issue. I have tried on both Macintosh and Windows computers.

Some things to check would be The version of the Adobe Reader that is installed. What Browser are you using? Try using FireFox. make sure you have the latest version of FireFox. If yuor using Safari, make sure to update you safari to the latest version as well.

mehd389652

Jason

Yes I've been to all of the links and the same problem some work and others don't so you need to look at it or you will be losing business. In my line of work they are considered unprofessional on the web without being coupled with other options for customers? Pdfs are web designers "Lazy way out" they save the designers time not the customers . . .

PDFs are not the best because each platform is different and all computers are equipped with different versions of pdf readers. Therefore you limit your popularity and market if you make people go away to download the right one. Not everyone is going to do that research shows most people don't.

I have adobe acrobat 9 pro one of the latest and your links to your pdfs are buggy on your site. Anyway rest assured I won't mention it again.

Kind Regards,

Mike

neil186288

PowerCMS Getting Started Guide
powercms_gsg.pdf

Comprised of:

Set up your MySQL database
importing_sql.pdf

Update the database connection file
sp_db_connection.pdf

Modify the settings to suit your needs
powercms_globals.pdf

Uploading your files
sp_upload.pdf

Create your page content
powercms_creating_content.pdf

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

Mike, I am not able to reproduce a problem with downloading the PDF's but I will forward your comments to our documentation team.

In the mean time, the only work around I can offer is to right click them and save them to your computer to view them.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...