close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Problem when inserting a Bracket? | into a update form

Thread began 9/27/2009 7:30 pm by dave315749 | Last modified 3/02/2010 9:48 pm by jade.burnside372067 | 2732 views | 8 replies |

dave315749

Problem when inserting a Bracket? | into a update form

Weird problem,

I build backends for people with the data assist wizard, and i make text areas for them to type in meta descriptions for title tags keywords and descriptions..

The weird part is when i use a i think its called a upright bracket? "|" without the quotes of course it deletes everything after the | and puts it to the text area or field below and then deletes the next box and puts the data after that... heres a example

meta title : Web design | Website design | Search engine tags
meta: description: text here
meta: keywords: text here

but it ends up like this

meta title: web design
meta description: website design
meta keywords: search engine tags

Why would this be? and how can i get it to save the correct data right into one field called the meta title field?

Sign in to reply to this post

Office-172461

That's actually the pipe character - used to "pipe" output somewhere other than the default output. Not sure how to solve your issue.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

In the insert and update record, use the str_replace function to convert the pipe to the html entity. When you bind the meta title column to the input text box, the code will look like:
<?php echo ((isset($_POST["formElemenet"]))?$_POST["formElemenet"]:""); ?>

change that to:
<?php echo ((isset($_POST["formElemenet"]))?str_replace("|", "&#x7c;", $_POST["formElemenet"]):""); ?>

this will convert the "|" symbol to the html entity "&#x7c;"

dave315749

didnt work

It still moves any text after the Pipe to the next field when updating the record.

What else do you think it could be?

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

You need to perform the same conversion to the HTML entity in the update record server behavior just link in the insert record server behavior.

dave315749

Got it to work but still doesnt resolve the issue

Got it to work... but it shows up on the site as that html code, not | when i look at the source code.

What other work around is there? Is this a my sql problem? what else can i search for?

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

The problem is that we use the Pipe character as a column separator in the insert and update code. To use a pipe character, you will need to convert it to the html entity.There should be no problem in the display of your page if it is output as a the HTML entity.

dave315749

well its not the display, its for search engines to see in the title tags.. so i guess if there is no way there is no way. thanks!

jade.burnside372067

I found the same problem when I added fields for META data.

I solved it by replacing the | pipe | character as a delimiter and changing it to the ~ tilde~ character.

Of course, the same problem would arise if I wanted to use the tilde, but it's less likely that will be necessary.

Cheers.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...