close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Bug with Dynamic Menus ?

Thread began 9/04/2009 12:06 am by john275907 | Last modified 9/04/2009 4:12 pm by john275907 | 1577 views | 3 replies |

john275907

Bug with Dynamic Menus ?

Some time back I acquired CSS Menu Writer. Have now started to work with it and initial efforts worked fine with a single level dynamic menu.

Once that was working as expected, I attempted to add the nested menu to the top menu. Since the result ended in a total failure, I decided to remove the nested menu and go back to the top level menu and start again.

Somehow, I believe the problem is caused by what I was attempting to achieve during the setting up of the nested menu.

Some background:
I am using a single table for my page data which includes elements such as:

id_pag - The PK field for the page
idpag_pag - A self-foreign key for second level pages - This is left as NULL when no 2nd level page is required.
menulabel_pag - the menu label
urlparam_pag - the URL parameter
active_pag - a Y / N boolean
order_pag - the order in which pages are listed in the menu

The structure is taken from examples suggested by Interakt for their old CSS Menu 2 product which I have used for some time and have adapted to use with Spry. Incidently, the Spry version I have works flawlessly is easy to style and manage. I only need 2 levels of navigation for all my sites, however, I thought that I should give WA CSS Menu Writer a tryout as it has some nice features and may in time develop to the point where it can be more useful for my requirements. - Ray Borduin may recall some discussions on this some time back....

Back to the problem at hand:

With the single level of navigation working I selected the nav code block and opened up the CSS Menu Writer edit menu. I selected the top level menu and then clicked the +Add button, then selected new Dynamic Link.
I then filled out the dialog box and selected the idpag_pag self-foreign key for the Key Column and the rest of the settings I made the same as for the top level.

I noticed that the Filter dropdown list had a new option called Nested. However, I could not find anything that fully described its use. The Help for the product under the section on Creating Dynamic Menu Items is rather thin on the ground and means nothing to me. Maybe I cant grasp some simple notion here, but its meaningless and fails totally to descibe the use of this option.

Nevertheless, I completed the dialog process and loaded the page and support files to my test server, tested the page and was presented with an error message that said: "Unknown column 'Y' in 'where clause'"

I then removed the nested menu, and checked that the settings were correct for the top menu. They were. I relaoded the page and support files and again was presented with the same error. I checked the menu.php file and discovered this line:

$query_menuwriter_pagespag = "SELECT urlparam_pag, menulabel_pag, id_pag, active_pag, order_pag FROM pages_pag WHERE active_pag=Y ORDER BY order_pag ASC";

I spotted the problem with active_pag=Y and changed it to active_pag='Y' and was pleased to see that the top level menu items were working again.

At this point I recalled that I had downloaded 2.0.2 when it was released but had never installed it. So I removed 2.0.1 and installed 2.0.2, setup the same top level dynamic menu and bugger me days !! I had the same error presented to me as before so once again I hand edited menu.php to get the menu to work.

So I believe I have a real bug here in this regard.

That said, I would be delighted to hear from anyone else who has been able to get a dynamic menu to function along the lines of what I have described and to clarify the process for the Nested dynamic menu.

Sign in to reply to this post

john275907

More on Bug with Dynamic Menus

It would appear that somehow, the CMW is changing the code for the filter when I set it to active_pag Entered Value = 'Y'. The quote marks around the Y are removed when I add the second level and cannot be corrected in the Editor. This has the hallmarks of the problems encounted with the Universal Email thing that would not allow changes to be made to the Email body once the body layout code had been established in the editor.

The second revelation is that this Dynamic Menu facility is rudimentary and NOT really fully dynamic at all if you are using it in a CMS situation. I think the diescription of this product is misleading and should be changed.

Eric Mittman

I think that the problem with the query results from the data type of the column you are selecting for the Key column. The Key column is assumed to be an integer value so it does not treat the value as a literal.

I have logged a bug on this, until a fix is made available you will need to update the sql to add in the quotes around the value.

john275907

Nested Repeat for Dynamic Menus

Thanks for the response Eric.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...