close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

"Save as" to different page name breaks send function

Thread began 11/09/2015 8:36 pm by Justin@AdventDesign | Last modified 11/10/2015 5:27 pm by Ray Borduin | 2740 views | 8 replies |

Justin@AdventDesign

"Save as" to different page name breaks send function

I'm guessing this will be a quick one. I've installed a formmail function with the "Insert new form" function, and it works fine as the original test page, "indextest.php". However, once the test worked ok, I did a 'save as' and saved it to the public file name in the folder "index.php". When attempting to execute the form on the index.php page, it does nothing and just returns the same page with a blank form. The only thing I changed was saving it as index.php rather than the original name, indextest.php.

Is there something else I need to change in the code manually when I rename a page with the email function?

I've attached both incase you need to see them.

Sign in to reply to this post

Ray BorduinWebAssist

There is no reason the page wouldn't work after a save as... if one works, the other should as well.

If you give me FTP access to the server I can debug it, but I don't think it has anything to do with the save as.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

Justin@AdventDesign

See PM for FTP...

Working page is http://electromediainc.com/contact/indextest.php

Exact duplicate (with button to reveal form commented out since it is public and live) is the same folder, just index.php.

Which, now that I think about it, I'm not leaving the index.php on the links for a clean URL. So when I test that live page, it's
http://electromediainc.com/contact/

And come to think of it, I have a 301 redirect to ensure the index.php gets dropped in the URL. Would that be the issue?

Ray BorduinWebAssist

Yes the redirect is the issue... try updating the form tag and remove the action attribute so that it is just action=""

Justin@AdventDesign

BINGO! I hate burning hours trying to troubleshoot and finding the answer is so simple. While I've got you, do you mind taking a quick look at a similar form on that same site? I've rebuilt it twice, and yet it still goes nowhere. It's here http://electromediainc.com/support/indextest.php

Justin@AdventDesign

Got your test submission...

Ray BorduinWebAssist

You have a bigSlide jquery plugin on the page, but your jquery include file was lower on the page, causing a javascript error. I fixed it by moving the core jquery scripts up higher on the page.

Justin@AdventDesign

Thanks Ray. You guys are awesome. Can you enlighten me on how you trouble shooted that, or was it just obvious from experience? I understand how to print errors with PHP, but not jquery.

Ray BorduinWebAssist

I use firebug in firefox to debug javascript in the console tab... there are equivalents for most browsers. Chrome has a debugger built in.

Once a page hits a javascript error, it will sometimes stop trying to run scripts lower on the page... So I refresh the page with console open and see if any errors pop up.

The error that popped up was something like "bigSlide is not defined".. so I looked at your page to see where it was referenced and I saw you had a script referring to bigslide, and had the bigslide.js file before it, so it should be defined. But I also saw that bigslide was based on Jquery and that your jquery .js files were below.

It is a pretty common error to not have jquery files in the right place, or to have more than one set on the page, so it is something I'm used to looking for... so I tried moving the jquery files up on the page and sure enough it worked.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...