close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

How do I create a database

Thread began 9/01/2009 1:50 pm by segufix361615 | Last modified 9/04/2009 11:07 am by segufix361615 | 4551 views | 9 replies |

segufix361615

How do I create a database

I thought that purchasing the dynamic suite would give me all the tools I needed to build an online shop. That doesn't seem to be the case, because there is no tool to build a database. It was probably my mistake to assume, that DataAssist would be any help building a database. So now I am stuck before I can even begin, because I can't built a mysql-database.

In the getting started guides it does nowhere explain how to create a mysql-database. There is a sample database, but I need my own database geared toward my own needs. I tried getting information from one of the sales persons, but they couldn't provide any useful information.

I am a novice, by all means. So how am I supposed to get my online-shop up without a database?

Sorry about the rant, but this is really frustrating.

So here is my question: How do I create a database??

Sign in to reply to this post

timespider372434

Database php cpanel

If you can't build a database you may have trouble building a shop.

If you are using php & have cpanel, log into cpanel, click on the mysql database button then create a new database by giving it a name. Then add a user by giving a name & all rights or privileges if it's you that's accessing it. Once done in cpanel use "php my admin" button to add tables etc. Remember to have an integer ID column that is the primary key that auto increments. Its all in there just read & practice.

Good luck - Chris

markdoyle87077

Databases

If you know what columns and tables you require then send them to me in Excel and I will create the database for you but I suggest that you start learning how to create dynamic webistes using the sample store that is available from WebAssist.

segufix361615

Originally Said By: markdoyle87077
  If you know what columns and tables you require then send them to me in Excel and I will create the database for you but I suggest that you start learning how to create dynamic webistes using the sample store that is available from WebAssist.  

Wow Mark, this is a very kind offer. Thank you so much. I don't have the complete concept yet on which information to include in which form. So I wouldn't want to waste your time with a test version.

I want to learn how to create using dynamic webpages (mostly with the tools offered by ecart). I already know how to create static webpages, but I think dynamic webpages will be much more useful in the long run. My plan was to do the tutorial and simultaneously built a small test version of my own store.

I read your post after I posted my previous post. So am I just mixing up terminology?

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

If you are just starting out, dont worry about creating your own database until you understand the basics of relational data. Just use the Blue Sky Music database that is included with the eCart Getting Started Guide support files. there is a .sql file provided in the Data Sources that can be used as a starting point for your database with eCart.

Neil Beadle

Database Starter Kit for PHP

You should definitely check out the Database Starter Kit for PHP.
tutorials-and-training/

It is a free interactive training that will guide you through creating databases and understanding how they work.

segufix361615

Originally Said By: Neil Beadle
  You should definitely check out the Database Starter Kit for PHP.
tutorials-and-training/

It is a free interactive training that will guide you through creating databases and understanding how they work.  

Neil, thank you. I will check that out.

segufix361615

I wanted to thank everyone for their help. I finally managed to get a create a database, create a table within and populate it with data. I used phpMyAdmin, which uses MySQL I think. Once I got started it was embarrassingly easy. Anyway, I know understand the purpose of DataAssist, and of course ran into a problem. I am going to post the question in the appropriate category. Thank you again for all your help.

segufix361615

Originally Said By: Jason Byrnes
  If you are just starting out, dont worry about creating your own database until you understand the basics of relational data. Just use the Blue Sky Music database that is included with the eCart Getting Started Guide support files. there is a .sql file provided in the Data Sources that can be used as a starting point for your database with eCart.  

Jason, thank you for your reply. I thought about using the provided sql file, but I don't see how it could help me create my own online shop. I think I need to see my own products to build the shop.

As to database, I still think the terminology is confusing. I do understand the concept of relational data though and its advantages. It is also explained nicely in the book I mentioned about.

I am just off the phone with Apple, and they said FilemakerPro can generate an sql file via export. So maybe that is the solution to my problem. Not cheap though.

segufix361615

Thank you for your response, Chris.

I am very new at this, and I think I am getting the terminology mixed up. As it seems I can create a database using "phpMyAdmin" which is included with MAMP and runs on my Mac.

I guess what I need to do is create the tables, like the sample one provided with ecart. The sample table (or I think it is more than one table) is combined in a document with a file name ending ".sql". It is this document I need to create and then import into my own database.

Thanks to a very good book "Dreamweaver CS3, the missing manual" I was able to create a Database, import the sql-file and connect it with Dreamweaver.

Am I making sense?

Could someone point me into the right direction how to create an sql-file?

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...