close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Adding FedEx shipping options to existing checkout - where to start?

Thread began 10/26/2015 11:52 am by joerg431091 | Last modified 10/27/2015 10:25 am by Ray Borduin | 1318 views | 5 replies |

joerg431091

Adding FedEx shipping options to existing checkout - where to start?

I am trying to include FedEx shipping and real time rate lookup options into my existing website but having trouble even finding out where to begin.

I found several posts about how to implement snippets and code etc but they seem to be starting somehow in the middle of the process.

We have a working checkout with price based shipping rules and I like to add the real time lookup and selection of FedEx expedited services. Can I use my existing eCart object or do I have to remove this and start with a new eCart object?

I figured that I have to start with Kate Ford’s online tutorial about online shipping solutions and obtain a FedEx developer test key and downloaded the rate service code from the FedEx developer site but already have trouble with the part “past the developer test key, etc into the sample code”.

So I am kind of lost and don’t even know whether this is the right way to start. Is there any tutorial or guideline that explains the steps of adding FedEx shipping options into an existing checkout process?

Thanks so much.

Joerg

Sign in to reply to this post

Ray BorduinWebAssist

You should be able to apply the Shipping server behavior on the form page where they enter their address. The server behavior will ask you for your credentials.

Then you just update the eCart object and add a shipping rule to add the associated charge from your selected shipping provider.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

joerg431091

Hi Ray,

Thanks for responding. I did all this but I am guessing that I might don't have the basic understanding about how this works. How can the customer choose among different FedEx shipping options (ground, 2nd day, etc) that are displayed in real-time depending on the item or total he has in the cart? I looked at a few different posts in this regards and all seem to refer to eCart 5 with hidden form elements etc. I added FedEx Services snippets (as suggested in one post) to the checkout.php page but since eCart 6 uses a different confirm.php page am not sure how to proceed.

I guess I am missing sort of a step by step tutorial or guide that lets me understand how the process works. At this point I am not even sure whether FedEx even returns rates as I am not seeing anything on the site.

Apologize for my ignorance and appreciate your patience and help.

Best,
Joerg

Ray BorduinWebAssist

I would start by getting it to work with a single service to limit the complexity. Then you can move on to allowing a user to select a service once that is working. Don't over complicate it to start or you won't be able to figure out where you are going wrong.

This is something we can help with in a premier support ticket.

joerg431091

Thanks Ray.I will continue to try to figure this out for a few days and, if not, will open a premier support ticket.

Would this problem be something that could be taken care of in the scope of one support ticket and would I be able to duplicate the process for other sites? Just trying to get and Idea about the cost.

Thx.
Joerg

Ray BorduinWebAssist

Yes, one ticket should suffice.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...