close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

update sales tax to charge only Illinois residents

Thread began 9/09/2015 10:28 am by Mark | Last modified 9/10/2015 3:17 pm by Ray Borduin | 1785 views | 12 replies |

Mark

update sales tax to charge only Illinois residents

I need to update my cart to only charge sales tax to IL residents. I'm not seeing that option in the eCart object.

Sign in to reply to this post

Ray BorduinWebAssist

Save the State selected as a Session variable on the cart_confirm.php page. Then you can add a tax rule based on the value of that Session variable being equal to "IL"

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

Mark

Thanks Ray, but one of the reasons I bought (and love) eCart is because I don't have deep enough coding knowledge to know how to do what you just prescribed.

Ray BorduinWebAssist

Try it... go step by step.

Open the confirm_cart.php page and apply the Server behavior "Set Session Value"

Then update the cart object on the Taxes tab and create a tax rule. Add a condition based on the value of the session variable you created and a charge rule based on a percentage of the subtotal.

Mark

OK. Step by step. I have the "Set Session Value" box open. What should I be putting in the "Trigger", "Session name", and "Value" fields?

Ray BorduinWebAssist

You may need to add the form values to the bindings from the checkout page if they don't show up automatically.

Trigger: click the lightning bolt and find the checkout form and the State field
Session Name: Can be anything... use "ShippingState"
Value: Same as the trigger... lightning bolt to the field from the checkout form

If the checkout form doesn't appear in the bindings, then open the bindings panel first and click the plus button and choose "Add form" and browse to the checkout page.

Mark

OK. Set Session Value is done. I'm now in the eCart Merchandising Rule for Sales Tax in the eCart Object.

Ray BorduinWebAssist

Condition "Based on session variable value" Enter the session variable you just saved and the value = "IL"

Amount should be "Based on Cart Subtotal" times 0.08 (or whatever the tax rate is)

Mark

All set. Are the files I've altered "coolCart_JSON.php" and "WA_eCart_Definition_PHP"? I just want to make sure I only upload what I changed just now.

Mark

Ray, I uploaded all files - and now I have no sale tax at all. I'm attaching a screen shot of Session variable. Please advise.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...