close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Strange MySQLi behaviour

Thread began 9/02/2015 1:17 pm by Steve_UK | Last modified 9/08/2016 4:15 pm by Ray Borduin | 3666 views | 12 replies |

Steve_UK

Strange MySQLi behaviour

Hello there

I know this is probably not really a Web Assist issue, but I am baffled.
Having used WA for many, many years I have never had a situation like this.
It is quite simply that one one of my remote hosts, I cannot display records from a view stored in MySQL on a PHP page.
This works fine on my local development server - I can run the query in MySQL, PHPMyAdmin and display fine on a PHP page.
On my hosts server, I can run the query in PHP MyAdmin fine and see the results, but the results DON'T display on the PHP page - no results, no errors, nothing.

This only happens with views - tables are fine, and I CAN return the records with the 'traditional' method of defining the connection credentials in the PHP page.
My hosts will only say 'This must be a coding error . . .' - not very helpful.

This must be something to do with the include of the rsobj.php file, but only with views.

Is this anything you have come across before please?

Many thanks

Steve

Sign in to reply to this post

Ray BorduinWebAssist

I haven't run into that, but if you give me ftp information and a url to test it I can see if I can identify the problem. Possibly permissions for the user not having access to the view?

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

Steve_UK

Hello Ray and thanks for the reply.
I have taken this a little further - stored the simplest view possible by simply returning values from a table.
As before, the page with the connection string and credentials returns the records no problem, whilst the WebAssist MySQLi method returns nothing.
I have suggested to the hosts that for some reason the server is not happy at displaying a view using a PHP include with defined classes, but with a simple 'contained' page, it is.
That does indeed suggest a permissions issue, but it works with a straightforward page??!!

Don't know if access would help - I have asked the hosts to look into it further with my suggestions as to the cause - I can certainly send you the pages if you wish.

Regards

Steve

Ray BorduinWebAssist

If I could test it, then I could figure it out. I may need ftp and connection information to fully test it, but I'd like to test it to see if I can figure out what is going on and see if it is something I can fix.

I'd just need the ability to reproduce the problem and update the pages that cause the problem for testing.

Steve_UK

Ray

Thank you for your help as always - I eventually decided to change my site by writing the query into the page instead of relying on views.in the database.
I can say without a doubt (in case anyone else reads this post) that this was almost certainly a strange hosting server error and nothing to do with the WebAssist extension, which works very well.

Alex

Sorry to resurrect this one but have come across the same issue today, this is on a site that has been functional for several months. As of today any queries on views stopped working and I was forced to write the full query into the page in order to make it work properly.

Just wondering if you could share any wisdom gained from the above?

Best

Alex

Ray BorduinWebAssist

If you give me FTP access I can look into it further. I'm not sure what would cause this offhand.

Alex

PM sent

Ray BorduinWebAssist

I'm taking a look, but I need to access the page for testing purposes. What is the URL?

I may need access to the phpMyAdmin directly as well. Are you sure the user you are using has access to the view from a permissions perspective?

Alex

Reply sent

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...