close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Binding recordsets to a selected item in a dynamic dropdown list

Thread began 1/15/2015 6:30 pm by MR JOHN | Last modified 1/16/2015 11:58 am by Jason Byrnes | 1828 views | 3 replies |

MR JOHN

Binding recordsets to a selected item in a dynamic dropdown list

HI I've created a dynamic dropdown list using a record set of event names, this give me a dropdown list. I need to be able to use this dropdown selection to show details from the selected linked record item. So for example a list of cars, i select the car from teh drop down list and my other field items, type, notes etc are updated based on my dropdown record.

I'm stuck on how i go about doing this, I have databridge and using mysqli with DW 2014.1

Please give step by step instructions

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

the value for the list should use the event ID column. make sure the select list form is set to use the post method, and it should have a submit button

make note of the select list name.

on the details page, create a recordset to return the requested event. in the recordset filtering section, set the filtering to use the EventID column Equal to Form value, and enter the name of the select list.

you may find the database starter kit tutorial helpful:
http://www.webassist.com/tutorials/Getting-started-with-MySQL-and-dynamic-websites

MR JOHN

Hi, what I need is for the record set to be linked to me clicking the selected list item from a dropdown list. Not clicking a submit button so when I select the item in the drop down (not the record I'd) this will cause an update of the recordset and thus displaying the record info.
I'd the dropdown is not the is of the database record but a human readable data field

How do I achieve this please. Can I do this via an onchange event to post the id to update the recordset

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

this would require unsupported hand coding.

you could add an onchange event to the select list to submit the form. see this post at stack overflow:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7231157/how-to-submit-form-on-change-of-dropdown-list

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...