close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

PEAR mail for SMTP authenticate using 3rd party smtp server

Thread began 6/17/2014 10:43 am by Nathan69474 | Last modified 6/17/2014 12:41 pm by Jason Byrnes | 3966 views | 5 replies |

Nathan69474

PEAR mail for SMTP authenticate using 3rd party smtp server

Hi

I am trying to set up PEAR mail using a 3rd party smtp service.

I have set up a newsletter mailing list which works using PEAR mail (unauthenticated).
I have gone through the process of finding out the PEAR path on the server and setting up the open_dirbase server settings.

Using unathenticated I use mail.domainname.co.uk on port 25 as the smtp server and email send fine

However I need to use a 3rd party authentication service for the mailing list to avoid hosting/sever overload issues etc

I have found a company authsmtp.com which offers the service. They effectively give me the username/password for email accounts that I allocated on their system as being valid.

The smtp server needs to change from mail.domainname to mail.authsmtp.com and they recommend port 2525

However the PEAR mail path will be on my server, so I need to maintain the pear path.
But if the smtp server changes how does the WA UEmail recognise the domain path to find the pear mail.php file.

I think I will need to use the wizard to create the base WA files and then manually edit them to apply the 3rd party configuration.

Can you please advise, as I currently can't get it to work when using authenticated

Thanks
Nathan

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

No change should need to be made to the pear path.

Pear is a package that is installed on your server, the pear package is used to pass the email SMTP server you specify.

it may be that your host has configured the server to block connections to outside SMTP servers.

in UE, set the GO TO page to be blank, then add the following code in the body tag of the page:

<?php @session_start(); var_dump($_SESSION); ?>

this will write the session contents to the page and include the email status, that may help in troubleshooting the cause of the problem.

Nathan69474

Good call Jason ...

I've got a dedicated server and have had the server locked down to only accept connections from my 3rd party spam filtering company, in order to prevent spam attacks and brut force mail out attacks.

I need to ask the authsmtp people what the sending ip address is and then I can add it to my firewall allowed list (currently set to only spam filtering company).

For info, I was sending the newsletter via normal php mail functions but spam filtering company requested I use a bulk mail server to help protect their ip address white listing, hence the conversion to PEAR mail

Hopefully will be able to report back with a happy outcome soon !

Thanks
Nathan

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

glad to help.

Nathan69474

... and it works ! .... just had to add their ip address to my firewall's allowed list

Thanks for the nudge in the right direction

Thanks
Nathan

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

you're welcome.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...