close ad
Install the LAtest Updates to Work with CC 2017 and CC 2018
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

How will MySQLi impact current plugins?

Thread began 6/13/2014 9:47 pm by anonymous | Last modified 8/29/2014 4:05 am by namon96 | 2602 views | 13 replies |

anonymous

How will MySQLi impact current plugins?

If MySQLi is a complete new way to make DB Connections, queries, repeat regions etc... I am curious how it is going to interact with your current extensions. Many of your extensions connect with a database, with Data Assist and eCart likely the two flagships.

1: With they currently work with a MySQLi connection?
2: If not, what is your "roadmap" for making all of your extensions compatible with MySQLi.
3: Do you have plans to support both MySQLi and MySQL moving forward with your extensions, or is everything going to move over to MySQLi.

I see a very large grey area taking shape in regards to your extensions, and am just curious what direction Web Assist is planning on taking so I can better plan my own strategies.

Sign in to reply to this post

info4753

This post has been deleted.

codamedia

I think it is very important that they update their current extensions to use MySQLi ... but I also hope the updates will continue to work with the deprecated MySQL extension so users can choose the way they want to work and continue to maintain older sites. When a feature is deprecated it is very important to provide the alternative early and I thank WA for jumping on this for us.

If you rely on a web host of any sort (ie: do not use a self-managed server) then you need to be even more concerned. It may not happen for a couple years - but sooner than later scripts will stop failing completely if you are not using MySQLi or PDO.

steve204795

Impact on Ecart- powerstore- power gallery in existing websites

I am very cocerned as well - please explain the impact - do i have to rebuild all of my websites ? Does your mysqli extension fix everything or will i have to buy new versions of ecart and bridge ?

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

The MySQLi Extension is the groundwork that was needed to be laid for starting the MySQLi migration.

Think of it this way:
For the existing extensions, The DW Server behaviors where the groundwork they where built on. Adobe has depreciated the server behaviors, so we first needed to recreate that ground work which is the MySQLi extension.

Now that the MySQLi extension is released, we will be starting to work on migrating Data Bridge, Design Extender and eCart.

Data Bridge is the first one we will start on. as it is the most database driven of the extensions it will take the most time to complete.

codamedia

Jason - Web Assist does great work, and I love the products, but this release seems terribly unplanned.

1: You are selling a new product that is not compatible with any of your current extensions.
2: You are not setting any clear timelines of when the other extensions will be updated.
3: You are not informing anyone if those extensions will be backward compatible or not, or if they will be a free update, or a paid upgrade.

If you update "one extension at a time" how is that going to work? Data Bridge will be MySQLi, eCart MySQL... Until all are done - I can't use any. It's a logistical nightmare of incompatible code. As much as I like this entire decision to go MySQLi, I'll have to completely ignore this new extension until you have solidified your positions because I cannot prepare any future business strategy based on the lack of information.

Just speaking my mind :) (but will continue to use your great products...)

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

It's not that it is unplanned, but that it is a big job that cannot be done all at once and, as such, the plan is a long term one.

The MySQLi extension is the first step that was needed to make the migration, the other steps will follow.

As the other extensions are upgraded to offer MySQLi support, they will still be backwards compatible with previous pages that are developed using MySQL.

Rome was not built in a day, neither was the migration to MySQLi.

We have not made any final determination on what features will be included in the MySQLi upgrades to the other extensions, or any upgrade pricing.

anonymous

I find it nice that WA is releasing the MySQLi server behaviors early so that users can already start using the basic data functions and informing those who have Data Bridge, Ecart or Super Suite to upgrade. Though I think this might be two of the concerns with regards to MySQLi and the other plugins
- Will MySQL Server Behaviors become redundant once a DataBridge with MySQLi version is available? Apart from recordset creation all other features are in Data Bridge
- For those willing to be early adaptors of MySQLi plugin will there be another upgrade cost once a full Data Bridge version with MySQLi is available (To those who purchase MySQLi Server Behavior now and already have Data Bridge)

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

The MySQLi server behaviors will become a part of Data Bridge when it is upgraded.

If you purchase the MySQLi server behaviors extension now, the cost will be deducted from the upgrade cost when the Data Bridge upgrade is released.

shaun.andrews

Hi Jason,

Are you able to give us a rough indication on when the upgrade to Data Bridge is expected?

Thanks,

Shaun

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...