close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Email to users not sending - and blank window in Mail Object Settings

Thread began 3/01/2014 10:56 am by Mags | Last modified 3/05/2014 8:57 am by Jason Byrnes | 824 views | 3 replies |

Mags

Email to users not sending - and blank window in Mail Object Settings

I'm trying to set up a page where an admin can email all users in the database. The form is set up, I've added the Universal Email behavior and when I hit Submit I am taken to the Success page. However, the emails don't send. I thought it may be something I need to change in the Mail Object Settings, however when I open this window I get an empty box as per the screengrab below. Have tried in both Dreamweaver CS6 and CC but same story in both. Is there any other reason why the emails won't send? All my registration/user update emails send OK so it may be nothing to do with Mail Object Settings, might just be an issue with my form! I also wondered how to give admins the option to include the person's name in the email. I tried adding the Firstname binding from the recordset within the initial value field in the HTML Editor instance on the form, in the format Dear <?php echo $row_rsUsers['UserFirstName']; ?> but I get a syntax error doing this. I've seen on similar forms where the user gets a list of variable placeholders to choose from in the format %firstname%, %lastname% etc - how would I do this so that they could then include these when composing the email?

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

What version of Data Bridge do you have installed?

Make sure you have the most recent version of Data Bridge installed, 1.1.8.

As for the why the email is not sending, there could be any number of reasons for this:

Who is your host?

Depending on your host, you may need to set certain options in Universal Email.

Some hosts will work if you leave the SMTP Server setting on the Email Server Tab blank, others will require that you enter the SMTP server address.

Some will work using the standard Mail protocol, other will require that you use the Pear Mail for SMTP, some using Pear mail will require authentication.

Some hosts may require that the from address being used be a valid email address for your domain. Some may require that the option to include the from Email address be passed as an extra parameter.

To be successful with Universal Email, you will need to know the requirements of your host for sending an email using a PHP script.

Also, double check your Spam folder, it is possible that the email is being trapped as spam.

Mags

Hi Jason

I updated to the latest version of Data Bridge (I was running the previous version, updated in January I think) and that solved the issue with the blank box so I was then able to access the further settings I needed. The emails now send - although they are ending up in the Spam folder so might need to add a SPF record to the domain - but that's another issue. Thanks again!

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

Glad to hear it is working.

the email being trapped as spam can happen for any number of reasons. It could be the Subject, or the email email body contains content that is being considered as spam.

or it could be the from address that is being considered as a spam address.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...