close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Help with setting up a localhost

Thread began 2/06/2013 9:16 am by Christopher West | Last modified 2/06/2013 10:09 am by Jason Byrnes | 1158 views | 3 replies |

Christopher WestCommunity Expert

Help with setting up a localhost

Hi, ok I have always used WampServer on Windows 7 without problems..
..Ive just installed Windows 8 Pro and after many attempts I cannot seem to run WampServer (I read its something to do with IIS 6 using same port but I cannot even see IIS6 installed on Windows 8 + I even tried to use a different port 8080 - well WampServer does load the Localhost page...however PHPMyAdmin doesn't display).

So I am trying XXAMP - I downloaded and unzipped the file..there isn't an install option so Im guessing you just run it from the directory the zip unpacked to...if I were to type in 127.0.0.1 then I get the localhost page up and can access the PHPMyAdmin...however how do I configure Dreamweaver projects to use the localhost using XAMPP?

Chris

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

visit the xampp for windows page:
xampp-windows.html

the download section offers 3 choices:
xampp-windows.html#641

1) An installer
2) A Zip File
3) A 7Zip

In the "The Installation" section, there are steps that walk through installing XAMPP using the installer:
xampp-windows.html#522

or installing without the installer:
xampp-windows.html#521

follow those instructions based on the download you choose.

once XAMPP is installed, see the "Defining a Dynamic Site in Dreamweaver" Tutorial on the tutorials and training page:
tutorials.php

Christopher WestCommunity Expert

Hi Jason, thanks, I realised my mistake...I downloaded then zip version thinking that would provide me with a installer...I got it all up and running now :)

I am curious to know though why this works on Windows 8 when I couldn't get the widely used WampServer to work on Windows 8.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

no idea why it wouldn't work for you.

I dont use Wamp, nor do i have Windows 8.

if wanted to look into the problem, i would suggest posting to the wamp forum:
forum.wampserver.com/

I'm sure someone there would be able to help.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...