close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Correct workflow for templates and themes

Thread began 1/04/2013 6:05 am by FrankJay | Last modified 1/04/2013 1:54 pm by FrankJay | 1612 views | 4 replies |

FrankJay

Examining many of the posts about the subject I have completed the process as follows but have a few questions.

I created my page layout and converted to a Dreamweaver admin template with editable regions: admin navigation, admin content and admin footer. I inserted the admin navigation page as a plug-in using framework builder as well for the admin footer to the respective editable regions.

I created all the administration pages using data bridge. After creating all these administration pages I applied the admin template to all pages except the products search page.

Next I opened my Dreamweaver admin template and created a theme. I selected applied to all pages using this template. After quite a lengthy process the styles were successfully applied to all the admin pages.

Have I followed the correct process by including my framework builder plug-ins directly to the template editable regions?

If not, where should I insert the framework builder plug-ins:

a. To the theme page created from the template, or
b. To the page that is created from the option "Create Page with Theme" using framework builder.

If I need to create a new administrator page using data bridge, is the correct process to apply the theme as follows:

Have the new administration page open and apply the admin template. Then save the page and the use framework builder to "apply theme" to the admin page.

Looking forward to get this workflow and process done and dusted. Appreciate the advice and/or correction.

Regards
Frank

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

The plugins for navigation should not be added inside the editable regions.

anything you add to the template inside an editable region will not be transferred to the pages based on the template.

only content added to the template outside the editable regions is transferred to the pages.

the editable regions are parts of the template that are managed on a page by page basis.

FrankJay

Thanks Jason for you reply

"The plugins for navigation should not be added inside the editable regions."
Should they then be added to the theme created from the template? or
Should they be added to the page created from 'create page with theme'?

Any answers to the outstanding questions from the original post?

Thank you

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

the plugins should be added to the template, outside of the editable regions.

FrankJay

In conclusion

So my Dreamweaver templates must not have editable regions for the navigation and footer. The only editable region would be for the admin content region.

I must then apply this template to the admin pages and then create a theme from this template.

For any newly generated administrator pages I must apply this template to these pages. Then for each the administrative page and while still open I must then apply the theme.

Hopefully now I've got it. Appreciate your assistance Jason.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...