close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Upgrade steps from Power CMS?

Thread began 11/27/2012 4:47 am by CraigR | Last modified 11/29/2012 4:20 am by CraigR | 1335 views | 5 replies |

CraigRBeta Tester

Upgrade steps from Power CMS?

I created a CMS for a client a couple of years ago with Power CMS, before PowerCMS builder was released.

He is now looking to make some site changes, which would be facilitated if I update the CMS too, as CMSs I have created with Power CMS builder will help me achieve this.

Is there a recommended path to take to do this - and retain the existing data ?

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

This will only work if the CMS was installed to the root of the site initially.

as long as the CMS was installed to the root to begin with, Dreamweaver should recognize the content areas on the page as being CMS Builder content areas an allow you to update them using the CMS Builder interfaces

CraigRBeta Tester

Hi Jason.

The CMS bit works, but the content manager home page is different in the old PowerCMS solution.

It is in monochrome and the interface has no facility to add content.

What i want to do is just replace the existing CMS files from the solution with those installed by the extension.

see image for details..

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

The CMS Builder CMS files are in the users configuration folder under configuration/shared/webassist/PowerCMS/CMS

you con copy these files to your site to upgrade the CMS version, do not over write the connection folder.

The newer CMS version will use the admin_cms directory for admin

mrs

Originally Said By: CraigR
  the interface has no facility to add content.  

Is that right? The PowerCMS Builder from Design Extender doesn't have the ability to add new content?

If so, how do I allow for wanting to add new pages and content areas via the CMS?

CraigRBeta Tester

No, PowerCMS Builder works just fine.

The problem I had is that the PowerCMS Solution, which was released as a solution and not an extension, a while ago, (and I think as part of sitesculptor), doesn't allow new pages as part of the interface, and it was necessary to add entries into the database table directly.

I had a site created using this method, and I am updating it.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...