close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Digital File Pro - Upload wizard

Thread began 11/12/2012 6:48 am by thehalpeen319342 | Last modified 11/13/2012 12:47 pm by Jason Byrnes | 2389 views | 7 replies |

thehalpeen319342

Digital File Pro - Upload wizard

Dear Support, I'm creating a database of staff members - Fname, lname, etc. I want to include a field where they choose to upload a passport picture of themselves.

I've created the form and added a 'file field. I've then tried to use Wed Assist - File manipilation - upload wizard. The problem is I don't understand the process or what is heppening. I've done a few tests and I've successfully uploaded a picture to an images folder.

But, my questions are:
1. How does the wizard link the picture to the correct record in the database table?

2. What happens if one of the employee names their picture (on their computer) the same name (myphoto.jpg) as another employee (myphoto.jpg) and it goes into the image folder. Will the other employee photo be overwritten, thereby deleting his photo, or displaying the same photos for two employees.

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

1) see the "How to apply Digital File Pro to DataAssist Insert and Update pages" tutorial on the Digital File pro support page:
digital-file-pro/

2) In the Upload file settings there is a section for If the file exists. options include the renaming the New File, or renaming the old file, i suggest renaming the new file.

thehalpeen319342

Okay, I've successfully uploaded the file and got it to insert the name of the file into the table. I uploaded another picture with the same name again to a new record and it successfully renamed the picture in the images file adding an '_1'. But the name in the table didn't get an underscore.

Also I attach a screenshot of 'page two' of the insert wizard. What do I put in in the File entry section/field where the default is [filename]

Attached Files
Upload wizard Page 2.pdf

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

Leave the file name setting as is.

send a copy of the page so i can examine the code please.

thehalpeen319342

Dear Jason, Attached is page and word doc with table showing image entries in last column.

As you can see the same name ha been inserted in the three different records.

Attached Files
table.pdf
upload4.zip

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

you selected the option to rename the existing file if it exists.

you should select the option to rename the new file instead.

thehalpeen319342

Okay, that upload worked very well. But I'm going through the motions, without really understanding some of the stuff I am doing - in particular on the 2n page of the upload Wizard, ie

1. In what circumstances do you change the name of the file from [filename] in the 'File' field?

2. Why is there a 'Default file' field available and when would you use it?

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

1) If you wanted to control the name of the uploaded file rather than just using the default name. some people prefer to rename the file to use a users name, or ID instead of the name of the file as it is.

2) The default file setting is a value that is given to the Server File Name binding if no file is uploaded.

the most common use of this is on the update page. on the update page, you create a hidden form element that contains the name of the file already stored in the database. you use the hidden element as the default file.

this way when a record is updated, but no new file is uploaded, the previous file name is retained.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...