close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Make search field a dropdown list after Data Assist Wizard?

Thread began 11/06/2012 7:52 am by erin.hedrick443527 | Last modified 2/08/2013 7:01 am by Jason Byrnes | 1614 views | 9 replies |

erin.hedrick443527

Make search field a dropdown list after Data Assist Wizard?

Hello,
I am very new to Dreamweaver and Web Assist, but I feel there should be a relatively easy way to achieve what I am looking for, so I am hoping to get a bit of assistance, as I am not having much luck on my own.

I am trying to create a very simple database search of facilities, in which a client can search by multiple features (not dynamically). I used the Data Assist wizard, and it looks fine. But, I am hoping to get a few of the options to be a dropdown choice, in order to help with ease of use. Is there an easy and quick way to do this?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

make not of the name of the text field you want to replace.

the delete it and replace it with a select list. make sure to use the same name for the select list as the text box that is being replaced.

erin.hedrick443527

Thank you very much! I knew there had to be an easy solution. However, there is still one problem with it. I want the ability for them to choose a dropdown, but I also want the ability for them to not need to choose something for each dropdown. Is there a way to have a "blank" answer for each dropdown to where it will still return all results?

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

yes, add an option to the select list with a blank value:

<option value="">Please make a selection</option>

mark402027

Dropdown help needed

Hi
Does the same method work with pages created by Databridge, if so could anyone explain more fully. I have been struggling with this for a while now.
I feel sure I am missing something simple - I usually do.
Thanks for any help you can give me.
Mark

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

yes, the same method will work with data bridge.

you just need to note the name of the text box, then replace it with a select list that uses the same name.

as long as the select list is the same name as the original text box, it should work.

mark402027

Dropdown help needed

Thanks for the quick reply, I am a complete noob when it comes to php and Dreamweaver.
I have setup a simple search, results and detail pages to list some content in my database.
When I create a select list Dreamweaver is expecting a recordset to pull the data from. where do I go from here - do I create one?
Thanks again for any help.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

a select list can use either static data or a recordset.

to populate the list with static data, highlight it in design view, then click the List values button in the property inspector.

mark402027

Drop Down help needed

Many thanks, the pennies finally dropped.
I am not sure if this the right place to ask my next question - How do I limit the results in my list boxes to unique values only. ie if an author has published many titles only show that author once.
Thanks for any help.
Mark

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

are you using a recordset to populate the list?

if so, either use DISTINCT:
sql_distinct.asp

or GROUP BY:
sql_groupby.asp

in the SQL

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...