close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Contact form - data base

Thread began 11/05/2012 6:46 am by sjuno299871 | Last modified 12/06/2012 2:07 am by FrankJay | 2127 views | 8 replies |

sjuno299871

Contact form - data base

Is there a viedo or pdf on making a contact form that collects the emails into a database...without having to log in....? I have the bridge and extender...

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

No, there is not a video for this, but it is fairly strait forward.

Create the form in dreamweaver.

apply the Insert Record behavior to save the information to the database.

apply the Universal Email behavior to send the contact information in an email.

FrankJay

Email form content not being written to database

Greetings,
I'm having my first go at inserting the email form contents to the database.
The email form is being submitted successfully and being redirected to a thank you page. I also receive the email submission information via email. The submitted email information is not being written to the database.

I have created the form using form builder. The process I've followed is to create the form: I created a form in the form details tab, specified the action page and configured the email settings under the form function tab as well as configuring sending the form contents in an email. After the form was generated, I manually added the hidden field to insert the date and time to the database. I then applied insert record server behaviour to the form including the bindings.

In the previous post I have noticed a different sequence. Could this be my problem of the submitted form information not being written to the database?

Please have a look and see where I am going wrong.
contact-dated-form.php
Much Appreciated.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

please send a copy of the page.

FrankJay

Page requested

Thank you Jason for your quick reply.
In the interim I have rebuilt the form again without configuring send contact form by email. I did however select and action page. After generation of the form I manually inserted the hidden date and time field.
I then applied the insert record server behaviour. Tested the page, still no data written to database. I then applied universal email and tested again, still no data written to the database.
I have attached both sets of files.
Look forward to your response Jason

Attached Files
wa-contact-forms.zip

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

The first rule when working with forms:
All form processing must occur on the forms action page.

in both forms you sent, the action of the form was to post to another page. this means that the Insert behavior and the email behavior need to be added to the action page. you have added the insert behavior to the same page as the form.

The easiest way to do this is to set the action of the form to post to itself, then add the email and insert behaviors to the same page as the form, in the email behavior, set the Go To option to the page you would like to load after the record is inserted and the email sent.

FrankJay

Now inserting to database

Thank you Jason,

Pointing me in the right direction has finally got me to insert the email information to the database.

I appreciate your help and guidance.

There are two options to invoke "create email message", one being through the webassist menu, and the other through the server behaviour panel. Which of the two would be best to use?

Please elaborate on the "save inserted ID in session" on the DA insert record UI and what would be the appropriate name to store this as.

Truly grateful to your dedicated help.
Regards
Frank

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

There are two options to invoke "create email message", one being through the webassist menu, and the other through the server behaviour panel. Which of the two would be best to use?  

Either one will give the same result, use whichever one you find more comfortable.

Please elaborate on the "save inserted ID in session" on the DA insert record UI and what would be the appropriate name to store this as.  

the "save inserted ID in session" option saves the value of the primary key column for the record that was just inserted to a session. this is helpful if you inserting related data to a second table at the same time, for example using the Manage relational table behavior. For ease of use, i recommend using the same name as the ID column in the table for the session name, but really you can use any name you like.

FrankJay

Form to database now complete

Thanks Jason,

All is now fully understood and working properly.

Much Appreciated
Frank

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...