close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Validations on DataAssist Pages

Thread began 10/15/2012 6:43 pm by bjgarner241692 | Last modified 1/10/2013 1:29 pm by Jason Byrnes | 2458 views | 13 replies |

bjgarner241692

Validations on DataAssist Pages

Is there a way to keep DataBridge from adding all of the Validation code to the insert and update pages?

Not every form needs validation, why have all of those extra includes and extra coding?

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

you can remove most validations, but not all. Otherwise, you could end up with a bunch of empty records being inserted.

on the manage pages tab, edit the field settings section to change the validation used for each column.

bjgarner241692

I do not think that it is your role to determine what and whether I should validate.
I much preferred the original DataAssist method which created the pages without validation.
Including code that will not be used is an unnecessary overhead and overly complicates the pages.

You need a "Remove All" validations button.

Besides, as near as I can tell there is nothing being validated until I go to the Manage Pages tab and select items to be validated. You just have it setup to accept validations.

What you have released is overly complex and completely unnecessary.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

I guess this is one of those instances where you cant please all the people all the time.

You can certainly remove the server validation and spry validation code form the pages after they are created.

i will add a feature request to have a no validation option.

bjgarner241692

Thank you, it was not a complaint as much as a suggestion. I hope that it is used.
It is rare that I ever put validation on my admin pages.

Justin@AdventDesign

I'd agree

Validation isn't necessary in many cases on the backend. Provide a clean option.

bjgarner241692

This needs to be addressed.
You have all but destroyed DataAssist with what you have done.
Why do you have Validation on a SEARCH PAGE?

I think that it is incredibly arrogant of you to release a product which forces validation on pages where it is arguable as to whether it is needed or not - and the extend of your validations is onerous to say the least.

What business do you have of implementing password requirements, phone number and date formats.

Having spent as much as I have on this product I expect it to be at least as useful as it formerly was. I do not expect to have to remove useless code that was included without my asking for it.

Prior to DataBridge you could create functional Data Management pages in under 2 minutes and then directly add the validations you wanted and none that you did not.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

can you provide some more details on the application settings you are using?

I just tried a test with Product Administration application preset. that preset only requires the Product Name, and Product Price. In the manage pages -> Field Settings sections, i removed the required attribute for those 2 columns, and the pages that where created came out with no required validation. I only see data type validation on the pages that are created. not required.

bjgarner241692

I don't want to use your presets at all.

I create pages to administer pre-existing databases of all different types and whether or not I want validations the resulting pages have all of the coding and includes to support them.

I want nothing more than what I got in DataAssist 2.0 so that I can add, delete and edit records in the database.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

Have you tried using Data Bridge 1.1.2?

I have tested using the New from Blank preset option, and selected a Products table.

On the manage pages -> Settings section, i made sure that none of the fields had the Required option selected, I had a couple of columns that where date columns, so added Date Pickers for those.

in the pages that where created, there was no validation added except to make sure that the date fields had a proper date format.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...