close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Inserting details and images

Thread began 8/07/2012 3:14 am by john70964 | Last modified 8/08/2012 1:00 pm by john70964 | 1840 views | 10 replies |

john70964

Inserting details and images

I wish to allow people to upload details of products to a database along with a main image and a thumbnail and then to send confirmation to them that this has been carried out.

Can you please advise which are the best WA extensions to allow this to be carried out.

Many thanks

john

Sign in to reply to this post

John LangerBeta Tester

You would need Data Assist to insert details of the product into the database
Digital File Pro to upload images
and Universal Email to send email confirmation

All these (and more) can be found in the Data Bridge extension default.php

john70964

Thanks John,
Data Assist I can use OK.
I saw Digital File Pro suggested and installed it.

However when I came to use DFP I had a message which said that as I also had CSS Form Builder installed I had to uninstall DFP and re install CSS Form Builder so I got a bit lost.
Any ideas what I should have done please?

John LangerBeta Tester

Yes, sorry, many extensions that were once standalone have been integrated together. I believe that both DFP and UE are now a part of CSS form builder.

The latest incarnation of this is Data Bridge which has both Data assist and CSS Form builder integrated.

CSS Form Builder 2 includes all the functionality of Validation Toolkit 2, Universal Email 4, Digital File Pro 2 and HTML Editor 2. If you have installed any of these extensions, you will need to uninstall them from the Adobe Extension Manager prior to installing CSS Form Builder 2.  
  Please note: Data Bridge includes all the functionality of Cookies Toolkit, CSS Button Styler, CSS Form Builder, DataAssist, Digital File Pro, Dynamic Connections, Dynamic Dropdowns, Dynamic Web Charts, Form Toolkit, HTML Editor, Image Resizer, SecurityAssist, Universal Email and Validation Tooltips for Spry. If you have any of these extensions installed, please uninstall them in the Extension Manager before installing Data Bridge.  

john70964

Thanks again John.

Sorry to go on... but if I wish to allow people to insert data and upload their images and create thumbnails is this carried out on the same page or is it a multipage arrangement.

John LangerBeta Tester

You can just use the one insert page to upload the image as well. Thumbnails can be created automatically using the same image combined with the Image Resizer extension which is NOT part of CSS Form Builder 2 but is included in Data Bridge. It can be purchased separately at the moment but you might be better off upgrading to Data Bridge. Get in touch with sales, tell them the extensions you have and they will give you an upgrade price. sales@webassist.com

You can also, if you wish upload two images (Full size and thumbnail) using the one insert page. You don't HAVE to use "Image Resizer"

john70964

I am using Supersite (Last years)

I could not see how image resizer can be used to allow general users to insert images but
I think I am a little closer.

Via Data Assist I have a number of fields placed in the form for insertion of text information which goes into the table correctly.

I created some File Fields on the same form for images and applied WA > File manipulation upload.

This uploads and resizes a main image and a thumbnail very well.

It does not however place the image name in the table. No doubt I am missing something but cant see where the image name can be inserted into the table. Can anyone assist please?

Thanks

John

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

On the Data Assist Support page there is a how to article that walks through adding Digital File Pro to your data assist insert and update pages:
dataassist/

After adding File Upload to your form, a new binding group will be created named "WA Uploaded Files (Name of your file field)". expand this binding group, one of the bindings you will see is a binding for Server File Name, this binding can be used in the insert behavior to store the uploaded file name.

You have the upload behavior set to create 2 copies of the image. If you look closer, you will notice that the bindings are repeated, there will be a set of bindings for the large image, and another set of bindings for the thumbnail image.

In the insert and update pages, you will need to edit the insert and update behaviors to bind the image columns of your products table to the server file name bindings for the large or thumbnail images created by the file upload.

@John Langer,
Thanks for taking the time to respond in the forums today, all your help is very much appreciated.

john70964

Thanks Jason
Regret I seem to be struggling with this.
"Quote
On the Data Assist Support page there is a how to article that walks through adding Digital File Pro to your data assist insert and update pages:"
As I have Css Forms I cannot install Digital File Pro.

I tried to follow the instructions but I did not seem to get the same result.
I reduced the insert page to two fields
Company and image1

I inserted a File field ID = Image1
I then opened WebAssist File Manipulation Upload and completed as image attached Upload.jpg

Step 1 of 2 Completed as image
Step 2 of 2 Completed as image
I could see Field Name and Simple File Name But could not see the WA Uploaded Files just the WADAInsertForm in Bindings

I am also attaching a zip of the file.

Attached Files
boats_Insert.zip

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

the file you sent does not have the upload behavior applied.

the Upload Files binding group will not be available until after the upload is added to the page.

you steps should be:
1) add file filed
2) add the upload behavior
3) Edit the insert record behavior that is on the page to bind the image column column name to the uploaded files -> Server File name binding.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...