close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Newbie Information

Thread began 8/04/2012 2:48 pm by info440887 | Last modified 8/04/2012 2:48 pm by info440887 | 567 views | 0 replies |

info440887

Newbie Information

It seems to me that the documentation for PowerCMS is really lacking and it would be really easy for someone at WebAssist to create some. I hope what I outline is helpful to new users. I am new to DreamWeaver, to the Web Assist extensions I recently purchased and new to using MySQL databases with a website. Here are some simple steps to help get you up and running with PowerCMS. Please feel free to add to or correct anything I've outlined.

1. If your web host has a CPanel and supports PHP, create a MySQL database on your account using the MySQL database wizard. Mine prompted me to also enter the userid/password specific to my database. Write them down of course.

2. Use the Remote MySQL icon in CPanel to associate your computer's IP address with the database so you can connect to it through DreamWeaver.

3. You won't have to do anything with phpMyAdmin. As far as I can tell that screen is used to manipulate tables, etc. for the database and the PowerCMS product will connect to your database through Dreamweaver and create the tables for you.

4. In Dreamweaver under Sites>Manage Sites you name your site, point to a local site folder. Under Servers, you define your server. Name it what you like, the address is the domain name, connection is FTP, and I'm using a test server on the Internet, so I have both the Remote and Testing boxes checked. The username and password corresponds to the web host username and password, the root directory is whatever your web host tells you it is, web URL is the domain name. (All basic server information). Under Servers, Advanced button, Testing Server, Server Model is PHP/MySQL.

5. You still need to define a connection to the server in Dreamweaver. If you don't see the databases tab, in Dreamweaver go to Window, click on Databases. Click on the + button to create a server connection. Name the connection name what you want. Under MySQL server, get that value from the hosting company (if you are using the remote server to test with). The value for my host in the MySQL server field is localhost.The user name and password are the ones you created when you created a database at your hosting provider. Then fill in the database name that you created at the hosting provider.

6. Under the files tab in Dreamweaver, you connect to the hosting provider by clicking on the button that looks like a plug. You can look at Local View, Remote Server, Testing Server under the dropdown on the files tab.

Hope this helps someone.

Sign in to reply to this post

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...